[Ohiogift] EdConnection news: Attendance Extra Point, Title IX Notice of Interpretation and more

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Mon Jun 21 16:05:15 EDT 2021

 Everyone: The Ohio DOE today announced its latest news and initiatives. Items of special notice are highlighted below in bright yellow:

| Having trouble reading this email? View it in your browser. |

|  |

| June 21, 2021
|  |

Attendance Extra Point: Get ahead of the game so students can Stay in the Game!
The Ohio Department of Education and its partners are offering practical tips, or Extra Points, educators can use to increase attendance and engagement during the school year. Go for the Extra Point this summer to prepare for a fantastic 2021-2022 school year. |

|  |  |
U.S. Department of Education confirms Title IX protects students from discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity
The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights has issued a Notice of Interpretation explaining it will enforce Title IX’s prohibition on discrimination on the basis of sex to include discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.   |

|  |  |
Industry-Recognized Credentials Guide available
Educators looking for guidance defining, reporting and qualifying industry-recognized credentials can reference the newly added Industry-Recognized Credentials Guide and other resources available on the Department’s website.   |

|  |  |
Update vulnerable youth points of contact in OEDS
Districts should confirm the names and contact information of designated points of contact listed in the Ohio Educational Directory System (OEDS) for their foster care liaisons, homeless liaisons, English learner program liaisons and justice-involved youth liaisons by July 30. |

|  |  |
Additional Fiscal Year 2022 EMIS changes open for public comment
The Department is seeking public comment on proposed changes to EMIS guidelines. The proposed changes address acceleration reporting, Glucagon collection, Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate assessment area codes and several other topics. |

|  |  |
Apply to join the Ohio Teacher Leader Liaison Network by June 30
Educators interested in serving as Ohio Teacher Leader Liaisons in the 2021-2023 cohort of teachers must apply by June 30. This cohort will join the innovative and prestigious network of selected teachers from across the state to engage with the Department on topics related to current and future education initiatives. |

|  |  |
Ohio Department of Health offers summer professional development for school nurses
This summer, the Ohio Department of Health is hosting the School Nursing Program Conference on Health and Education Equity on July 20 and the New School Nurse Orientation on Aug. 13, 20 and 27. |

Teachers, curriculum directors, counselors, other professionals
Student learning opportunities from NASA Glenn Research CenterStudents invited to learn “What’s so Super About Supercomputing?”
Deadlines and dates

Approaching deadlines or important dates mentioned in previous editions of EdConnection.

   - 6/23 | Register for INFOhio’s Instructional Materials Matter conference
   - 6/25 | Deadline to upload WebXam Course Grades
   - 6/30 | Apply to join the Teacher Leader Liaison Network
   - 6/30 | Apply for Agriculture Education Fifth Quarter Grant
   - 7/1 | Nonrenewable temporary licenses expire
   - 7/9 | WebXam end-of-year reporting due
   - 7/28 | Register for Career Connections Conference
   - 7/30 | Submit K-12 Prevention Education Initiative Final Report
   - 7/31 | Submit profile for 21st Century Community Learning Center External Partnership Listing
   - 8/6 | Restraint and seclusion data collection window closes
   - 8/27 | Self-Report on Identification and Services for Students Who Are Gifted available in OH|ID

   - 9/30 | Submit career-technical middle school programming waivers

| Does EdConnection fulfill your information needs? Please send any comments or suggestions to the editor. Stay connected with the Ohio Department of Education on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and more. See our latest news, events and share with friends. Click on the icons below to follow and engage with us! |

 |   |

artsnyder44 at cs.com