[Ohiogift] Excellence Gaps in Education (new one-semester-hour class)!

Croft, Laurie J laurie-croft at uiowa.edu
Thu Jun 17 10:45:30 EDT 2021

Dear Colleagues:

Beginning on June 22, we are offering a three-week book study about Excellence Gaps in Education (Plucker & Peters, 2016). This online class (asynchronous) focuses on strategies we can use to eliminate the achievement gaps that exist even among the students who perform at the highest levels (EDTL:4096:0WKD<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://myui.uiowa.edu/my-ui/courses/details.page?ci=157462&id=962496__;!!KGKeukY!irnkVxsbh4JdHh0OTjrHgYUHyUzm6g8albQitIiYq6LbihQ49fLlLtChUTCZ8uaEOEIq$ >).

This is a new class, and if you haven’t read Excellence Gaps, this is the time!  Excellence Gaps won the 2017 Book of the Year award from NAGC, and our need to understand excellence gaps—going beyond achievement gaps—is more important than ever.  The Harvard Education Press<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.hepg.org/hep-home/books/excellence-gaps-in-education__;!!KGKeukY!irnkVxsbh4JdHh0OTjrHgYUHyUzm6g8albQitIiYq6LbihQ49fLlLtChUTCZ8mu3qV4i$ > posted:

In Excellence Gaps in Education, Jonathan A. Plucker and Scott J. Peters shine a spotlight on “excellence gaps”—the achievement gaps among subgroups of students performing at the highest levels of achievement. Much of the focus of recent education reform has been on closing gaps in achievement between students from different racial, ethnic, or socioeconomic backgrounds by bringing all students up to minimum levels of proficiency. Yet issues related to excellence gaps have been largely absent from discussions about how to improve our schools and communities. Plucker and Peters argue that these significant gaps reflect the existence of a persistent talent underclass in the United States among African American, Hispanic, Native American, and poor students, resulting in an incalculable loss of potential among our fastest growing populations.

This is one of the Belin-Blank Center classes this summer intended to help educators ensure that their districts are doing everything possible to ensure that they are identifying and serving ALL their gifted learners—including those that have been traditionally underrepresented.  The other two classes include

  *   Talent Development: Arts, Academics, and Athletics (EDTL:4096:0WKB), focusin on the preparation required for gifted performers, and
  *   Serving Visual/Spatial Learners, discussing ways to provide programming for students identified for advanced abilities beyond mathematical and English/Language Arts abilities.

To take part in our classes, you must register one time each year with Distance and Online Education<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://distance.uiowa.edu/students/distance-and-online-nondegree__;!!KGKeukY!irnkVxsbh4JdHh0OTjrHgYUHyUzm6g8albQitIiYq6LbihQ49fLlLtChUTCZ8m7BhJZ4$ > as a non-degree seeking student. For the State of Iowa Endorsement in Talented and Gifted Education, you may register as either a graduate or undergraduate student, regardless of your professional status. If you won’t benefit in other ways from the graduate credit, you can save tuition dollars. Once you have your HawkID and password, you can follow the directions to register for the courses that interest or benefit you. Follow belinblank.org/educators/reg<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://belinblank.education.uiowa.edu/educators/endorsement/*how-to-apply__;Iw!!KGKeukY!irnkVxsbh4JdHh0OTjrHgYUHyUzm6g8albQitIiYq6LbihQ49fLlLtChUTCZ8kM-hCSt$ >. All our classes fulfill strands required for endorsement, and the study of Excellence Gaps can apply to the Administrative strand.

Questions?  Email educators at belinblank.org<mailto:educators at belinblank.org>!

We look forward to having you join us for this one-semester-hour workshop, and for other classes available through June and July.

Laurie

Laurie Croft, PhD (she/her/hers)
Clinical Professor of Gifted Education, Teaching & Learning

Associate Director for Professional Development, Belin-Blank Center
College of Education
600 Blank Honors Center, Iowa City, Iowa 52242
Office: 319-335-6148, Toll Free: 1-800-336-6463
belinblank.education.uiowa.edu<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.belinblank.education.uiowa.edu/?utm_source=EmailSignature&utm_medium=email&utm_content=CroftEmailSignature&utm_campaign=EmailSignature__;!!KGKeukY!irnkVxsbh4JdHh0OTjrHgYUHyUzm6g8albQitIiYq6LbihQ49fLlLtChUTCZ8nojr7sM$ >

Nurturing Potential | Inspiring Excellence

Follow us on Twitter @belinblank or @LCroft57
[wwgVYFOVrG9UAVwP6R5q4GtP2JA38D9oLnKOeCY5JAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC]