[Ohiogift] STEM and STEAM Learning Opportunities, the Ohio Junior Sciences Humanities Symposium

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Fri Jan 15 15:33:14 EST 2021

Everyone: Good news for science education, STEM instruction, the STEM Learning Network, and the annual Ohio Junior Science Humanities Symposium, from the Ohio Department of Education:

| Having trouble reading this email? View it in your browser. |

|  |

| January 15, 2021 |

Ohio University and Ohio STEM Learning Network Upcoming Webinars
Ohio University and the Ohio STEM Learning Network will be hosting a series of 1-hour webinars focused on STEM education. Participants will be provided a free certificate of attendance. January 20, 2021 3:30-4:30 Teaching Science Through Inquiry: What is scientific inquiry, and what does it mean to teach science through inquiry? This session will overview a framework for understanding the teaching of science as existing across
a continuum of student inquiry. Classroom examples will be considered.February 17, 2021 3:30-4:30 Examples of Subtle Shifts for Promoting Student Inquiry: This session will overview a framework for how teachers can modify their current science lessons to incorporate subtle shifts that allow for increased student inquiry. Participants will consider a “traditional” science lesson and then observe
examples of how the lesson has been modified to promote specific aspects of inquiry.March 17, 2021 3:30-4:30 Incorporate More Student Inquiry in Your Science Lessons: This session will provide participants with practice applying subtle changes to existing lesson plans in an effort to increase student inquiry. Participants will be provided with sample lesson plans and will be tasked with applying their own ideas for subtle modifications that will promote specific aspects of inquiry.Register for the webinars here.For additional information please contact Jacob White: jacob.white at ohio.edu (740) 597-1281
58th Annual Ohio Junior Science Humanities Symposium Registration is now open
Registration is open until February 12, 2021 @ 5:00pm. Please use the link below to register. We ask that all students, teachers, parents, judges, and STEM professionals please complete the free registration to virtually attend the Regional JSHS by Feb. 12, 2021.Please see the OJSHS website for details and more information: www.ojshs.orgClick here to register: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cvent.me/AxDlmW__;!!KGKeukY!mC41v3WwxGmFc9YGs5kreHrRmuhYhZ8G-NcS67qalvPPo3DCdgkpk0e3lRkSXJkymMx7$  Notification to students to confirm participation in oral presentations will take place the week of February 26, 2021.  |

|    For additional information, contact Kimberly Bell
in the Office of Approaches to Teaching and Professional Learning at Kimberly.Bell at education.ohio.gov. |

 |   |

|   |