[Ohiogift] National History Club News for November-December

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Mon Nov 30 21:34:24 EST 2020

 For teachers and parents of select middle school and high school students with enthusiasm for history:

|   |
| National History Club News |
| a partner of HISTORY® | November 2020 |

 American Historical Association The University of Chicago Loyola Marymount University

|   |

|      Hometown Heroes - Honoring Our Community  We often recognize and honor figures of national prominence who have made a difference for our country. Yet, there are many individuals in our local communities who have had a sizable influence on our towns, cities, and states. These people are from all different eras and backgrounds: It's the educator who your school is named after who opened it back in the 1800s. It's the World War II veteran who fought for our country and has resided in your town for the past 50 years. It's the past mayor of your city or town who was the driving force behind modernizing where you live. It's the nurse or doctor who has been on the front lines this past year tirelessly doing life-saving work in their field. Hometown Heroes are all around us---even if sometimes we don't realize it---and it's time to honor their legacies.   The NHC encourages student members to select a figure (local or state-wide) and examine how that person's actions helped make a lasting and positive impact on history. We strongly encourage students to look for unique figures who may not be known to the general population. Contest entries can be submitted in any three of the following formats:   * An essay of not more than 2,000 words, supplemented with a thorough bibliography and endnotes. Entries may be submitted in either of the following forms: 1) Microsoft Word document or 2) PDF document.   * A documentary or PowerPoint presentation that reflects your ability to communicate your figure's importance, and also helps you develop skills in using photographs, video, graphic presentations, etc. Documentaries should not exceed more than 10 minutes, and sources used should be credited in an annotated bibliography.   * A website that reflects your ability to use website design software and computer technology to communicate how your historical figure influenced history. Your website should be an interactive experience with a collection of web pages, interconnected with hyperlinks, that presents primary and secondary sources and interactive multimedia.   Entries must be received by April 10, 2021 and can be emailed to Bob Nasson at rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org (please type "Lessons of Leadership" in the subject line). Submissions are judged by the NHC Advisory Board and winners will be announced at the end of April.   Awards: First Place - $1,000, Second Place - $500 (one prize), Third Place - $250 (two prizes)    |

     HISTORY     More on the Latest Shows!
               NHC Sponsors
   -  American Association for State and Local History
   -  American Civil War Museum
   -  American Historical Association
   -  Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
   -  George Washington's Mount Vernon
   -  Gilder Lehrman Institute
   -  HISTORY
   -  History 500
   -  Laurel Hill Cemetery
   -  National Council for History Education
   -  National Vietnam War Museum
   -  National World War I Museum
   -  National World War II Museum
   -  Omohundro Institute
   -  Organization of American Historians
   -  Society of Architectural Historians
   -  The History List
   -  The Concord Review
   -  Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
   -  Woodrom Wilson Presidential Library and Museum

|   |

|   |
|   |
|   |

| American Historical Association |
|   |     The American Historical Association is the largest professional organization of professional historians in the world and the only one serving historians in all fields and all professions. The AHA is a trusted voice for history education, the professional work of historians, and the critical role of historical thinking in public life.   IThe AHA offers many resources for history teachers and students, including a collection of high-quality, vetted Remote Teaching Resources that is updated weekly. We also offer discounted membership rates for K-12 educators ($59 per year) and for students ($42 per year). Members receive subscriptions to the American Historical Review and our monthly newsmagazine, Perspectives on History, along with other discounts. Join today and invest in the future of the historical discipline!    |
|   | Join the AHA Today! |
|   |

| The University of Chicago |
|   |     The University of Chicago is a leader in the study of history, through its pioneering study of civilizations, its intensive curriculum focused on research and critical thinking, and its excellent training of young historians for careers in law, government, education, public policy, business, and nonprofits. Small seminar classes taught by world-renowned faculty promote individual attention to students, vigorous debates, and the discovery of primary historical texts that cover the globe (Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Americas) and span time (from ancient Greece to the modern day).   The study of history will not only enable you to become a consumer of knowledge, it will also prepare you to become a producer of knowledge. Undergraduate history courses first train you to explore large-scale social, cultural, and political processes by defining concrete, researchable questions. Then, you will learn how to locate the primary and secondary sources necessary to posit answers to these large questions. Finally, faculty will assist you in transforming your research into elegant historical arguments that shed light on the multiple ways in which our world, our very reality, has transformed over time.    |
|   | Visit the UChicago History Department! |
|   |

| Loyola Marymount University |
|   |     We live in interesting times! Now more than ever, it is important to understand how we got here, but also that "here" was not inevitable --- that history is about contingency, about the factors and choices that shape a particular path, as well as about different times, societies, and possibilities. A History degree at Loyola Marymount University (LMU), located in the heart of Los Angeles, gives you the unique perspective acquired by studying the past and by understanding how the past is reflected and refracted in the present. Studying a broad range of places and times, you will become an informed global citizen, able to participate in public life with articulate, effective, and persuasive arguments. Your own research will demonstrate that historical interpretations are always changing, while your ability to make sense of complex problems will make you an effective decision-maker. When you graduate, you will be prepared to follow any career you choose, armed with knowledge, skepticism, empathy, eloquence - and perspective.   The LMU History Department offers courses on the history of a broad range of times and places and also allows you to focus their academic journey around a particular set of questions and issues through thematic concentrations including: Public & Applied History; Law, Politics and Society; Global Economies, Encounters, and Exchange; Race, Gender and Culture; or Environment Science and Technology. You are encouraged to do history in the classroom and out in the world - through undergraduate research programs, internships, public history projects, and global immersion courses. History faculty reflect LMU's commitment to the teacher-scholar model: committed to innovative teaching and close mentorship of students and active in research and scholarship. History programming connects our study of the past to the present, with recent events about prison history, the history of epidemics, the global plastics crisis, the history of testosterone, the Confederate monuments debate, and more (check out our News Archive for coverage). We are also home to a chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, a History Students Association, and a robust TA program.   For more information about the LMU History Department, please contact us or visit our website, read our FAQ, and follow us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube).    |
|   | Explore the LMU History Department! |
|   |

|  |
|    :: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org   :: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org__;!!KGKeukY!gyByI6jHz10f3gHkzYxG_8NHSiSyXQdE-alLsBInM2_-_JbJ2POhwta3ZfnWCMlG_P2t$     |
|  |
|     |
|  |

| National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144
Via Art SnyderOhiogift Moderator
artsnyder44 at cs.com