[Ohiogift] The September OAGC News Flash

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Thu Sep 10 16:51:17 EDT 2020

Friends: Earlier today, Ann Sheldon posted a message about linking to the latest OAGC News Flash, and she noted there was difficulty with pasting the Flash itself here on Ohiogift. So, I tinkered with it and included it below, for added convenience accessing it. I hope this works for you who prefer this strategy
Art Snyder
artsnyder44 at cs.com
===========================================OAGC September News Flash
OAGC Fall Virtual Conference, Advocacy Updates, and More

Fall conference
OAGC is pivoting to a virtual fall conference this year! The conference will be held on October 18-20.  Many of the elements will still be the same - great keynoters, content-filled sessions, exhibitors, parent day and opportunities for networking. Some elements will necessarily be different. As many educators need more flexibility in terms of when they can view the sessions, all the recorded and live sessions (which will be recorded) will be available for three months after the conference. Attendees can partcipate live or asynchronously. Full conference registrants will have access to the content from all three days of the conference, again, for three months after the conference.  The conference will be available both as a web-app for attendees' computers as well as a mobile app for ease of access. For more information about the conference including keynote speakers, an agenda with session descriptions, parent day information, and registration, please go www.oagc.com/fallconference.asp.

Advocacy

New K-12 COVID-19 Bills; School Funding; ODE Gifted Guidance Still Elusive
The Ohio Senate Education Committee held the first hearing on SB358 which would have more implications for assessment and accountability in K-12 through the 2021-2022 school year. The Ohio House is expected to accept a substitute bill for HB305 - the so-called "Cupp-Patterson" school funding bill. ODE has yet to issue guidenace for gifted education. For more information, please go to www.oagc.com/advocacyalerts.asp .

General Information

OAGC Membership
Even if you are unable to attend the OAGC Fall Conference this year, we still need your support through your membership. Membership information is located at www.oagc.com/join.asp.

OAGC Review Articles Needed
OAGC is looking for a few good articles for the Winter Review.  To ask for an extension, or to submit articles, please email anngift at aol.com by November 15th. Please note that the Spring Review is still available in the member area of the website as a PDF. We were unable to print the Spring Review due to COVID-19 restrictions. The Fall Review should be in mail boxes in the next few weeks.

Parent Handbook
OAGC has just revised the Parent Handbook! To download it, please go to http://www.oagc.com/files/OAGC%20Parent%20Handbook%205.15.20.pdf.

Distinguished Student Scholarship
The deadline for the OAGC Susan Faulkner Art Scholarship is November 15, 2020,  For more information, please go to oagc.com/scholarship.asp .

COVID -19 Gifted Resources
As the stay-at-home order continues in Ohio, OAGC will continually update our resources page under the "COVID-19 Links" topic heading at http://oagc.com/resources.asp. If you have links you would like to share please send them to anngift at aol.com. New links of interest include enrichment resources across subject areas, testing recommendations, and the ODE Gifted COVID-19 FAQ. ODE has multiple links and supports which can be accessed at http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Student-Supports/Coronavirus.

Gifted HQPD -- High Quality Professional Development
As the 2018 revised gifted operating standards are now in effect, OAGC has been working hard to assist districts in implementing the new classroom teacher gifted HQPD requirement. We have an incredible amount of new tools and information to assist gifted professionals and districts. Also, we continue to develop Ohio-specific professional development through our partnership with GTIGNITE.   For more information about these courses along with all the incredible new tools and documents that will help you plan, provide, and track gifted HQPD, please go to oagc.com/hqpd.asp . Please note that all of our Fall conference sessions indicate how they align to ODE and OAGC professional development standards.

Donate to OAGC
As you begin to make your year-end charitable contributions, please remember that OAGC is the only organization in Ohio advocating on the behalf of gifted children. We hope that you will  consider a donation to OAGC by going to the following link http://www.oagc.com/donate.asp.

Amazon Smile
Did you know you could assist OAGC merely by ordering your Amazon goods? It's simple.  Just by making the following portal http://smile.amazon.com/ch/23-7442288 your default for Amazon orders, Amazon will donate a small percentage to OAGC.

Social Media Connections
Do you Tweet -  Follow the OAGC Advocacy Updates by following oagcgifted at www.twitter.com/oagcgifted .

Are you on Facebook - Become a fan of OAGC by clicking on https://www.facebook.com/OhioAGC.