[Ohiogift] DOE news: Licensure renewal flexibility, STEM education series

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Tue Sep 8 16:09:08 EDT 2020

 Everyone: The Ohio Department of Education just announced two news items of interest to the gifted ed community: 1.) flexibility for educator licensure renewal and 2.) a four-part series that focuses on STEM learning. See the details below:

Having trouble reading this email? View it in your browser.

|  |

| September 8, 2020
|  |

Ohio School for the Deaf teacher named Ohio Teacher of the Year
Last week, State Superintendent of Public Instruction Paolo DeMaria surprised Ohio School for the Deaf teacher Anthony Coy-Gonzalez by naming him the 2021 Ohio Teacher of the Year. Coy-Gonzalez teaches upper elementary students at the school located in Columbus. |

|  |  |
Flexibility for educator licensure renewal
The Ohio Department of Education is providing deadline flexibility for educator licensure renewal. Licenses previously set to expire on July 1 have been extended to Dec. 1, 2020. This allows educators additional time to complete their requirements for renewal. Educators who have met the requirements should submit the online application now to avoid longer processing times. |

|  |  |
Workforce and education learning series begins Sept. 22
Ohio’s education, business, community and policy leaders are invited to participate in a series of virtual workshops this fall to strengthen collaboration with the goal of better preparing Ohioans with the knowledge and skills required for today’s workforce and in-demand jobs.  |

|  |  |
Four-part series focuses on STEM learning
The Ohio Department of Education and the Ohio STEM Learning Network invite school administrators and staff to participate in a four-part webinar series to gain a deeper understanding of the pillars of STEM and how these strategies support all students. |

|  |  |
Save the date: Ohio Trauma-Informed Schools Conference
Mark Nov. 7 on the professional learning calendar and attend the Ohio Trauma-Informed Schools Conference. |

|  |  |
Get ready for Red Ribbon Week
Schools and communities can get ready to celebrate this year’s Red Ribbon Week, Oct. 23-31, and underscore the importance of a healthy, drug-free lifestyle. |

|  |  |
Reminder: Fiscal Year 2020 report card data review window closes Sept. 11
Friday, Sept. 11 is the last opportunity for superintendents to complete the required review of their 2020 student, assessment, calendar, staff, course and career-technical education follow up data reported in EMIS, Ohio’s Education Management Information System. |

Superintendents, principals, treasurers, other administrators
Treasurers and superintendents to complete 2020 funding and finance data appeal by Sept. 23Treasurers to review 2020 financial data by Sept. 23Virtual Operation Graduation Design Lab 3.0 focuses on graduation plans and at-risk servicesDeadline extended for Business Advisory Council plans
Teachers, curriculum directors, counselors, other professionals
Virtual meetups: Physical educationSave the date: Feed and Fuel Your Future Career virtual learning series Virtual meetups for the Ohio Career Readiness Leaders NetworkEnsuring equity in schools in the COVID-19 era and beyond
Deadlines and dates

Approaching deadlines or important dates mentioned in previous editions of EdConnection.

   - 9/9, 11/12 | Register for Self-Care Training
   - 9/11 | Career-technical education alternative reporting window closes in WebXam
   - 9/11 | Deadline to review 2020 report card data
   - 9/15 | District ACT or SAT selections due
   - 9/15  |  Join OhioMeansJobs K-12 learning sessions
   - 9/15, 9/16 | Register for Career-Technical Articulation Verification webinar
   - 9/15, 9/17 | Register for Distance Learning Leadership
   - 9/18 | EMIS career-tech accountability assessment data collection window closes
   - 9/22 | Spring 2020 state-sponsored ACT testing make-up
   - 9/23 | Spring 2020 state-sponsored SAT testing make-up
   - 9/25 | Apply for the Ohio Teacher Leader Liaisons Network
   - 9/25, 10/19 | Register for Youth Suicide Prevention Training
   - 9/30 | Adopt policy regarding students who are at risk of not qualifying for a high school diploma
   - 9/30 | Apply for 2019-2020 PBIS Recognition
   - 9/30 | Nominate a special educator for the Kathe Shelby Leadership Award
   - 10/2 | Gifted self-report due
   - 10/4-10/11 | Register for the Ohio Council for the Social Studies annual conference
   - 10/6 | Spring 2020 state-sponsored ACT testing make-up
   - 10/8 | Submit Rural Tech Project proposals
   - 10/14 | Spring 2020 state-sponsored SAT testing make-up
   - 10/15 | Complete educator evaluation systems (eTPES, OhioES) setup
   - 10/16 | Submit CTE Mission: CubeSat proposal
   - 10/20 | Spring 2020 state-sponsored ACT testing make-up
   - 10/21, 12/14 | Register for Crisis Awareness Training
   - 10/27 | Spring 2020 state-sponsored SAT testing make-up
   - 11/1 | Submit Blended Learning Declarations
   - 11/11-11/13 | Register for OCALICONLINE 2020
   - 11/20 | Submit Green Ribbon Schools nominations
   - 12/3 | Register for Addiction Awareness Training

| Does EdConnection fulfill your information needs? Please send any comments or suggestions to the editor. Stay connected with the Ohio Department of Education on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and more. See our latest news, events and share with friends. Click on the icons below to follow and engage with us! |

 |   |

artsnyder44 at cs.com