[Ohiogift] National History Club News - June 2020

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Mon Jun 29 16:08:51 EDT 2020

For gifted high school and middle school students with an avid interest in history:

 National History Club News

|   |
| National History Club News |
| a partner of HISTORY® | June 2020 |

 National History Scholars Society Baylor University Oberlin College

|   |

History Student of the Year     This Spring the NHC and George Washington'sMount Vernon again co-sponsored the "History Studentof the Year" prize. Each chapter chose a recipient forthis award, and s/he received an autographed copy of"Revolution Song" by Russell Shorto. This is the 16thyear of the partnership between Mount Vernon and theNHC to sponsor this prestigious award.  Mount Vernon is the most popular historicestate in America. The estate, gardens and farm ofMount Vernon totaled some 8,000 acres in the 18thcentury. Today, roughly 500 acres have been preserved16 miles south of Washington, DC, on the banks of thePotomac River. Visitors can see 20 structures and 50acres of gardens as they existed in 1799, as well as thetombs of George and Martha Washington. MountVernon welcomes over 1,000,000 visitors each year.  Explore Mount Vernon!   |

     Read The NHC Spring Newsletter     Click Here to Read!
          NHC Sponsors
   -  American Association for State and Local History
   -  American Civil War Museum
   -  American Historical Association
   -  Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
   -  George Washington's Mount Vernon
   -  Gilder Lehrman Institute
   -  HISTORY
   -  History 500
   -  Laurel Hill Cemetery
   -  National Council for History Education
   -  National Vietnam War Museum
   -  National World War I Museum
   -  National World War II Museum
   -  Omohundro Institute
   -  Organization of American Historians
   -  Society of Architectural Historians
   -  The History List
   -  The Concord Review
   -  Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
   -  Woodrom Wilson Presidential Library and Museum

|   |

|   |
|   |
|   |

| National History Scholars Society |
|   |     The NHSS was created in Spring 2009 to recognize the truly outstanding members in each Club. Nomineesare expected to have a B grade or higher in at least one Honors/AP history class, have been a member oftheir History Club for 2+ years, and be nominated by their Club Advisor.   There were 719 student members inducted into the NHSS this spring (4.0% of total NHC student membership),and they proudly wore burgundy honor cords at virtual graduations as a symbol of their academic excellence.    |
|   | View this year's Inductees! |
|   |

| Baylor University |
|   |     This spring held exciting events for the Department of History at Baylor University! March 5th marked the 250th anniversary of the "Boston Massacre," and to commemorate that historic incident, History and Law School students performed a reenactment of the trials that occurred after this momentous event to determine what really happened that night. Members of our Phi Alpha Theta chapter also presented excellent history papers at a regional conference, and our faculty are working on exciting research.   The Department of History offers a history major and minor, a master's degree, and a doctoral degree. Our opportunities are abundant. With small class sizes, the Department of History fosters a positive learning environment by encouraging intellectual exchange and cooperative relationships. Students can take courses on China, the Vikings, India, Latin America, the Middle East, Russia, the Renaissance, the Holocaust, the History of Warfare, Hunting, Business, Religion, Women in America, the American South, the Civil War, and more. Our graduates are successfully working in a variety of fields, from secondary education to security, public relations to law, business to broadcasting, and graduate school.    |
|   | Visit the Baylor History Department today! |
|   |

| Oberlin College |
|   |     History is one of the largest academic departments at Oberlin, and one of the most popular majors. Interdisciplinary by design, we engage our students in numerous subjects approached through a variety of methodologies to help them become astute observers, practiced researchers, and critical thinkers.   The Department of History provides students with a broad range of historical viewpoints and events, problems and approaches to the societal, cultural, political, intellectual, economic, and global challenges and developments. Rigorous coursework coupled with a research component helps our students gain deeper understanding of themselves and the world around them. History graduates are among the most distinguished Oberlin alumni. They also make our department the largest undergraduate source of students for doctoral degrees in history of any liberal arts college in the country.   History faculty and affiliated faculty are accomplished teachers and scholars. Recent books from our department include; Zeinab Abul-Magd, "Militarizing the Nation: The Army, Business, and Revolution in Egypt" (Columbia University Press, 2017); Leonard V. Smith, "Sovereignty at the Paris Peace Conference of 1919" (Oxford University Press, 2018); and Matthew Bahar, "Storm of the Sea: Indians and Empires in the Atlantic's Age of Sail" (Oxford University Press, 2019)    |
|   | Explore the Oberlin History Department! |
|   |

|  |
|    :: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org   :: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org    |
|  |
|     |
|  |

| National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144 |

Email: artsnyder44 at cs.com