[Ohiogift] February National History Club News, The Concord Review History Camp, IU Dept. of History news

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Mon Feb 10 16:11:08 EST 2020

| National History Club News |
| a partner of HISTORY® | February 2020 |

 Making Meaning of May 4 University of Rhode Island Indiana University

|   |

The Concord Review History Camp     This Summer, for the seventh year, The Concord Review History Camp will offer a chance for secondary students who qualify, including rising ninth graders, to spend two weeks working with our instructor/coaches on serious history research papers on topics of their own choosing. These papers, when completed, may be submitted for consideration by The Concord Review.  Since 1987, The Concord Review has published 1,362 serious history papers by secondary students from 46 states and 41 other countries. The most recent issue had essays from Hungary, India, Korea, Vietnam, and many U.S. states. 152 of our authors have gone to Harvard, and the work of our authors is recognized by many other highly selective colleges.   The 2020 History Camp will have a day camp in San Francisco from June 8 to June 19, a residential camp in Boston from June 22 to July 3, and a day camp in Seoul from July 22 to July 31. Application available at tcr.org. Send questions to Steven Lee at steven.lee at tcr.org.    |

     Read The NHC Fall Newsletter     Click Here to Read!
          NHC Sponsors
   -  American Association for State and Local History
   -  American Civil War Museum
   -  American Historical Association
   -  Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
   -  George Washington's Mount Vernon
   -  Gilder Lehrman Institute
   -  HISTORY
   -  History 500
   -  Laurel Hill Cemetery
   -  National Council for History Education
   -  National Vietnam War Museum
   -  National World War I Museum
   -  National World War II Museum
   -  Omohundro Institute
   -  Organization of American Historians
   -  Society of Architectural Historians
   -  The History List
   -  The Concord Review
   -  Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
   -  Woodrom Wilson Presidential Library and Museum

|   |

|   |
|   |
|   |

| Making Meaning of May 4 |
|   |     Educators of grades 6-12 are invited to apply at May4NEH.org by March 1 for a weeklong summer workshop on the history of the shooting of student demonstrators at Kent State on May 4, 1970. The site is a National Historic Landmark, and "May 4th" is recognized for changing public opinion about the Vietnam War; setting precedent in the US Supreme Court; changing National Guard armament policy; helping to lower the voting age to 18; and reminding us all to practice and protect the First Amendment.   You'll work with the best scholar-experts to develop lesson plans for your students (in all disciplines). You'll have access to much electronic information to use with students. Workshop faculty include witnesses to the shootings, two surviving casualties of the shootings, K-12 experts, experts on movements of the 1960s, and an Ohio National guardsman on site during the shootings.   Find full details and the application form at May4NEH.org. You'll by notified by March 27 about your application. All accepted applicants receive a $1200 stipend.    |
|   |  |
|   |

| University of Rhode Island |
|   |     The History Department at the University of Rhode Island cultivates an informed understanding and appreciation of past societies and cultures through its diverse course offerings. The faculty prides itself on teaching students to write persuasively, read critically, and think creatively about human experiences in the past throughout the world. The capstone course sequence for majors provides students with an outstanding research experience. The Department's expertise in Applied History prepares students for work in public policy.   The Department offers Bachelor's and Master's degrees in History, as well as an accelerated BA/MA program. Undergraduate students frequently double major in History and fields such as Elementary or Secondary Education, Political Science, Anthropology, Economics, Women's Studies, African-American Studies, Theater, and Journalism. Our students pursue careers in business, education, public history, law, public service, and advanced historical research. Graduate students can select a program in General History or thematic tracks in History, Archaeology and Anthropology; Gender and Sexuality; Politics, Policy and Applied History; Race and Ethnicity; Religious History; and Rhode Island History.    |
|   | Come vist the URI History Department Today! |
|   |

| Indiana University |
|   |     The Indiana University Department of History teaches almost 5000 undergraduates annually in courses about subjects ranging from Ancient Greece to contemporary China. In small seminars and lectures, our students learn directly from a distinguished faculty of 50 professors. In internships, career workshops, and independent research projects, IU History undergraduates prepare for careers in business, law, education, public service, and the arts, among other fields.   IU History offers a thriving graduate program, as well. Each year, hundreds of talented students from across the globe compete for a spot in our doctoral and master's degree programs, which rank consistently among the nation's Top 10 among public universities, and Top 25 overall.   Established in 1895, the IU Department of History's faculty today includes winners of Guggenheim, NEH, ACLS, and Fulbright awards, as well as numerous book prizes and teaching honors. History's faculty members contribute to IU's international reputation as a destination for students seeking a world-class liberal-arts education that prepares them to deal with the global challenges of the twenty-first century.    |
|   | Explore the Indiana History Department! |
|   |

|  |
|    :: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org   :: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org    |
|  |
|     |
|  |

|  |

| National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144 |

 |  |