[Ohiogift] Latest National History Club News

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Tue Oct 29 16:23:06 EDT 2019

|   |
| National History Club News |
| a partner of HISTORY® | October 2019 |

 Society of Architectural Historians Massachusetts Institute of Technology Ohio State University

|   |

|      The Mosquito: A Human History of Our Deadliest Predator  by Timothy C. Winegard   Dutton * Hardcover * 978-1-5247-4341-3 * 496 pages * $28.00   Dr. Timothy C. Winegard reveals how the tiny mosquito, roughly the size and weight of a grape seed, has determined the fates of empires and nations, razed and crippled economies, and decided the outcome of pivotal wars, killing nearly half of humanity along the way.   "The Mosquito is one of those (compound-) eye-opening books that permanently shift your worldview." -- Sam Kean, the New York Times Book Review   "It's an ambitious book that aims to deliver a tour of Western military history from antiquity to the jungles of Vietnam -- and an account of how one tiny arthropod repeatedly molded that history, thwarting generals, sickening peasants and popes, and killing billions of people. Timothy C. Winegard has pulled off this feat." -- Wall Street Journal   Educators: To request a free review copy, please contact us at K12education at edu.penguinrandomhouse.com or call us toll free at (844) 851-3955.   For more titles, please visit www.PRHeducation.com    |

     Read The NHC Spring Newsletter
          NHC Sponsors
   -  American Association for State and Local History
   -  American Civil War Museum
   -  American Historical Association
   -  Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
   -  George Washington's Mount Vernon
   -  Gilder Lehrman Institute
   -  HISTORY
   -  History 500
   -  Laurel Hill Cemetery
   -  Museum of Florida History
   -  National Council for History Education
   -  National Vietnam War Museum
   -  National World War I Museum
   -  National World War II Museum
   -  Omohundro Institute
   -  Society of Architectural Historians
   -  The History List
   -  The Concord Review
   -  Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
   -  Woodrom Wilson Presidential Library and Museum

|   |

|   |
|   |
|   |

| Society of Architectural Historians |
|   |     The Society of Architectural Historians and University of Virginia Press have announced a new open-access, mobile-friendly edition of SAH Archipedia, an authoritative online encyclopedia of the built environment of the United States developed by SAH and Rotunda, the Press's digital imprint, with lead funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities.   The newly redesigned SAH Archipedia brings peer-reviewed scholarship to a worldwide audience of researchers, students, teachers, preservation advocates, cultural tourists and others interested in learning more about the architectural history of the U.S. SAH Archipedia contains histories, photographs, and maps for over 20,000 structures and places, and showcases the richness and diversity of architecture and landscapes throughout the U.S. In addition to building entries, SAH Archipedia includes place-based and thematic essays, comprised of peer-reviewed scholarship contributed by architectural historians nationwide, and lesson plans designed for K-12 educators.Explore SAH Archipedia at sah-archipedia.org    |
|   |  |
|   |

| Massachusetts Institute of Technology |
|   |     History at MIT brings together outstanding scholarship, teaching, and public engagement. We teach a wide array of undergraduate subjects, help to train a talented cohort of graduate students in the History, Anthropology and Science, Technology and Society (HASTS) doctoral program, publish prize-winning monographs and essays that are grounded in deep archival research and employ cutting-edge methodologies, and reach out to public audiences around the world.   History especially seeks to give MIT students a full educational experience that will prepare them to be active members of their local communities and an increasingly global society. In all of these activities we are committed to carrying on the tradition of excellence that has made MIT an important engine of knowledge production and distribution in the humanities and social sciences.    |
|   | Visit the MIT History Department! |
|   |

| Ohio State University |
|   |     The Department of History at The Ohio State University offers graduate and undergraduate programs that help shape tomorrow's academics and educators, as well as future leaders in a wide variety of fields, from business, journalism, government, military and foreign service, libraries and archives, medicine and public health, economic development, and regional planning, among many others. We serve more undergraduates than any other history department in the Big Ten and are widely recognized across the nation and around the world for faculty teaching, research, and service.   Ohio State's undergraduate history major is both carefully structured yet highly flexible. Introductory classes present the basic tools of historical study and fundamental narratives while upper-level courses impart more advanced concepts and methodologies and more focused accounts of events. We take pride in the fact that all our intermediate and advanced courses and the great majority of our introductory offerings are taught by our permanent faculty.   We invite you to learn more at our Department Homepage and to check us out on Pinterest and YouTube and to follow us on Twitter and Facebook.    |
|   |  |
|   |

|  |
|    :: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org   :: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org    |
|  |
|     |
|  |

|  |

| National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144 |

 |  |