[Ohiogift] National History Club News - June 2019

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Thu Jun 27 15:56:23 EDT 2019

|   |
| National History Club News |
| a partner of HISTORY® | June 2019 |

 American Historical Association Suffolk University Rhodes College

|   |

|      The Back Channel: A Memoir of American Diplomacy and the Case for Its Renewal  by William J. Burns   Random House * Hardcover * 512 pages * 978-0-525-50886-1 * $32.00    Over the course of more than three decades as an American diplomat, William J. Burns played a central role in the most consequential diplomatic episodes of his time -- from the bloodless end of the Cold War to the collapse of post-Cold War relations with Putin's Russia, from post-9/11 tumult in the Middle East to the secret nuclear talks with Iran.   "Bill Burns is simply one of the finest U.S. diplomats of the last half century. The Back Channel demonstrates his rare and precious combination of strategic insight and policy action. It is full of riveting historical detail but also, more important, shrewd insights into how we can advance our interests and values in a world where U.S. leadership remains the linchpin of international order."  -- James A. Baker III   "From one of America's consummate diplomats, The Back Channel is an incisive and sorely needed case for the revitalization of diplomacy -- what Burns wisely describes as our 'tool of first resort.'" -- Henry Kissinger   Educators: To request a complimentary examination copy, please contact us at K12education at edu.penguinrandomhouse.com or call us toll free at (844) 851-3955.   For more titles, please visit www.randomhouse.com/highschool    |

     Read The NHC Spring Newsletter
          NHC Sponsors
   -  Agricultural History Society
   -  American Association for State and Local History
   -  American Historical Association
   -  Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
   -  George Washington's Mount Vernon
   -  Gilder Lehrman Institute
   -  HISTORY
   -  History 500
   -  Laurel Hill Cemetery
   -  Museum of Florida History
   -  National Council for History Education
   -  National Vietnam War Museum
   -  National World War I Museum
   -  National World War II Museum
   -  Omohundro Institute
   -  Society of Architectural Historians
   -  The Churchill Centre
   -  The History List
   -  The Concord Review
   -  Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund

|   |

|   |
|   |
|   |

| American Historical Association |
|   |     Join the American Historical Association, the oldest and largest professional organization supporting historians! The AHA is a nonprofit membership organization founded in 1884 and incorporated by Congress in 1889 for the promotion of historical studies. It is dedicated to serving the needs of all historians in all fields, from promoting advocacy and fostering networking opportunities to supporting teaching and research.   Additional resources for students include the AHA website, historians.org; the AHA's print news magazine, Perspectives on History; and the online-exclusive content on Perspectives Daily. Perspectives offers articles and commentary on research and archives, teaching, digital projects, new books of note, history in the media, public history and museum exhibitions, and more.   Students and teachers can access a variety of online resources such as the Future of the African American Past video library, featuring excerpts from a conference held in honor of the opening of the Smithsonian Museum of African American History and culture.   Membership in the AHA brings with it a variety of individual benefits. Perhaps more important than the expanding list of services we provide is our untiring advocacy on behalf of the discipline as a whole and our efforts to strengthen the presence of historical work and thinking in American public life. The AHA is a trusted voice for history education and the professional work of historians.   Become a member today! An annual membership in the AHA is as low as $42 for students and $59 for K-12 teachers.    |
|   |  |
|   |

| Suffolk University |
|   |     History is a gateway to both knowledge and perspective. History students at Suffolk University develop skills in logical reasoning, research, marshaling evidence, argumentation, and written and oral expression. Learning opportunities range from project development and management to internships at Boston's historic sites, in government and business, and in community nonprofits. Whether you major or minor in history, you'll be well positioned for professional success in many fields, from law and business to public history (the teaching, interpretation, and preservation of the past at museums and historic sites), teaching, public service, and the media.Suffolk's History Department is particularly strong in American history, regional and global history, public history, and the history of women and gender.   History in Action: The Freedom Trail. The Old State House. The Charlestown Navy Yard. Bunker Hill. At Suffolk, these landmarks are your campus. Here, in a city rich with culture and steeped in history, our neighborhood is a mosaic of major moments in time. Best of all, you'll watch history being made: Suffolk is home to the Ford Hall Forum, America's oldest free public lecture series. We're known for hosting speakers who've changed the course of world affairs -- from First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, to civil rights leaders Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr., to feminist pioneer Gloria Steinem.    |
|   | Visit the Suffolk History Department! |
|   |

| Rhodes College |
|   |     The Department of History at Rhodes has a national reputation for preparing students to think critically about the historical forces that have shaped the world's civilizations and cultures, to see the links between the past and the present, to become clear and effective writers and speakers, and to apply their knowledge as thoughtful citizens of the world.  A wide range of course offerings, internships, fellowships, and research opportunities empower students to prepare for success in any career path which they choose and to find their place within the ongoing human story.  History matters.   Designed for students who want to pursue the professional work of historians, we also offer a concentration in Public History -- one of a very few undergraduate program of its kind in the nation.  Students fully engage in the work of historic preservation, museum studies, documentary film, or library and archival studies.  Unique courses and experiences prepare students for professions or graduate training in the field through hands-on internships with our community partners.    |
|   | To find out more please visit... |
|   |

|  |
|    :: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org   :: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org    |
|  |
|     |
|  |

|  |

| National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144 |

 |  |