[Ohiogift] “Moonshot for Kids” competition is now open

Terry Adams terryyadams10 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 13:51:44 EDT 2019

Everyone:

A summer writing competition is open, and gifted  ed students looking for a
summer project might enjoy it.

All the details are below, as well as here:
https://www.americanprogress.org/press/release/2019/03/27/467420/release-cap-fordham-institute-launch-moonshot-kids-initiative-improve-outcomes-americas-youth/

Good luck to all,
Terry Adams
=====================================================================================================

*The Fordham-CAP “Moonshot for Kids” competition is now open*

*In April, the Fordham Institute and the Center for American Progress
announced a joint project, dubbed “A Moonshot for Kids,” intended to
explore “the rationale, potential, and possible design of a sizable new
investment in basic and applied research and development that leads to
innovation on behalf of America’s children.”The premise of the initiative
is that the U.S. will only make significant gains in real outcomes if it
develops and deploys bold new—sizable and scalable—evidence-based
approaches that build on the best ideas from the private, public, and
non-profit sectors.We've now launched the centerpiece of the project: a
competition to unearth examples of such bold, new, evidence-based ideas. We
are seeking the equivalent of education’s self-driving car, i.e., an idea
that will revolutionize schooling. The examples we seek should not be
policy proposals. Instead, we aim to collect applied research and
development ideas that will unleash innovation, support educators—and
dramatically improve student outcomes. What is a technological or
developmental effort that will spark game-changing differences in student
learning?Now’s your chance to shoot for the moon—and even beyond.If you’re
tempted—and we hope that you will be—here’s the plan:By August 1, 2019,
submit a brief application (no more than 500 words) through our online
portal. We are seeking ideas that would help the U.S. achieve one of the
following big goals (your choice) with the help of a public or private
investment up to $1 billion:             Cut in half the number of fourth
graders reading “below basic”        Double the number of eighth graders
who can write an effective persuasive essay        Shrink by 30 percent the
average time a student spends in English-language-learner status
Double the amount of high-quality feedback the average middle schooler
receives on their academic work        Ensure that every student receives
high-quality college and career advising by ninth grade        Double the
number of students from low-income families and students of color who
graduate from high school with remediation-free scores on the SAT, ACT, or
similar exams        Double the number of young women who major in STEM
fields         By September 10, 2019, the Fordham and CAP teams will select
10 finalists, who will each receive $1,000 and be asked to flesh out their
ideas in greater detail (up to 2,500 words).     In October or November,
we’ll host a “Shark Tank” style competition in Washington, D.C., to submit
the ideas to the scrutiny of a panel of judges, including educators and
senior staff of large national foundations, who will pick a winner, and
award a $10,000 grand prize.So get those juices flowing. Think big, think
bold, and shoot for the moon.*
*Click here to submit your proposal!:*
*https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/ea30633b07a64cf488e874db3ce78c35
<https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/ea30633b07a64cf488e874db3ce78c35>*