[Ohiogift] National History Club News - late April 2019

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Tue Apr 23 15:51:20 EDT 2019

|   |
| National History Club News |
| a partner of HISTORY® | April 2019 |

 The Concord Review Brown University St. John's University

|   |

|      The Road to Unfreedom: Russia, Europe, America  by Timothy Snyder   Tim Duggan Books * Paperback * 368 pages * 978-0-525-57447-7 * $17.00   A New York Times Editors' Choice   Shortlisted for the 2019 Lionel Gelber Prize   In this forceful and unsparing work of contemporary history, based on vast research as well as personal reporting, Timothy Snyder, Housum Professor of History at Yale University, goes beyond the headlines to expose the true nature of the threat to democracy and law. By revealing the stark choices before us--between equality or oligarchy, individuality or totality, truth and falsehood--Snyder restores our understanding of the basis of our way of life, offering a way forward in a time of terrible uncertainty.   "A brilliant and disturbing analysis, which should be read by anyone wishing to understand the political crisis currently engulfing the world." -- Yuval Noah Harari, author of Sapiens   "We are living in dangerous times, Timothy Snyder argues forcefully and eloquently in his new book. . . . To understand Putin, Snyder argues persuasively, you must understand his ideas. . . .The Road to Unfreedom is a good wake-up call." -- Margaret MacMillan, The New York Times Book Review   Also available by Timothy Snyder   On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century | Paperback | 128 pages | 978-0-8041-9011-4 | $8.99   Black Earth: The Holocaust as History and Warning | Paperback | 480 pages | 978-1-101-90347-6 | $18.00   Educators: To request a free review copy, please contact us at K12education at edu.penguinrandomhouse.com or call us toll free at (844) 851-3955.    |

     "History Student of the Year" - Co-sponsored by George Washington's Mount Vernon     Nominate a Student Today!

|   |

|   |
|   |
|   |

| The Concord Review |
|   |     For those students working on history research papers this spring, please consider submitting your work toThe Concord Review for possible publication.   TCR remains the only quarterly history journal in the worldto publish the academic work of secondary school students. Papers may be submitted on any historicaltopic, ancient or modern, domestic or foreign.   TCR has published more than 1,200 exemplary history papers by secondary students from 45 states and 40other countries in 119 quarterly issues since 1987. To find more information, and a submission form, visitTCR's website at: http://www.tcr.org/submit    |
|   |  |
|   |

| Brown University |
|   |     The Brown History Department is a community of scholars and students committed to the values and ethics of rigorous education in the humanities. We are dedicated to research, teaching, and public outreach devoted to the study of humanity's vast and diverse past.   The department's research and teaching is global and integrative, and its award-winning faculty members are acclaimed scholars who excel in the classroom. Undergraduate students work in the classroom directly with leading scholars at the cutting edge of their fields in an environment in which teaching and student participation are highly prized.    |
|   | Visit the Brown History Department |
|   |

| St. John's University |
|   |     The Department of History of St. John's University offers a nurturing, learning environment. At the same time, students enjoy life on a bustling, attractive campus. St. John's has the largest undergraduate student body of any Catholic university in the country. The University is located in Queens, a borough of New York City and home to one of the most diverse populations in the United States. The History Department helps students explore the city and gain access to its many resources, including museums, libraries, and theaters. Many internship opportunities are available to our students. St. John's also provides many service learning opportunities.   Earning a degree in history provides students with a comprehensive understanding of the issues and events that shape today's global society. Studying history is also a proven way to develop the analytical and communication skills necessary for success in most fields, including business, law, journalism, public policy and teaching. Jobs for history teachers alone are expected to rise 13 percent over the next few years.   The St. John's History Department offers a range of degrees, including a History BA, a History BA/MA, a History MA, and also a History PhD. Click on one of the links to explore more today about these opportunities!    |
|   |  |
|   |

|  |

  :: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org    |
|  |
|     |
|  |

|  |

| National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144 |

 |  |