[Ohiogift] National History Club - Lessons of Leadership Contest

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Wed Mar 13 15:05:11 EDT 2019

| NATIONAL HISTORY CLUB |

|  |

| Courage and Conviction
* Guidelines:
World War II General Douglas MacArthur once said, “Last, but by no means least, courage of one’s convictions, the courage to see things through. The world is in a constant conspiracy against the brave. It’s the age-old struggle—the roar of the crowd on one side and voice of your conscience on the other.” Throughout mankind, historical figures and leaders have constantly faced the struggle of doing what is easy versus doing what is right. From ancient Rome to colonial America to modern day U.S. politics, we are often reminded of the challenges that come from standing up for what one believes is right and just.  For the 5th consecutive year, the National History Club and The HBE Foundation are proud to co-sponsor the “Lessons of Leadership” Contest. We encourage middle and high school students from across the country to select a historical figure (domestic or foreign, ancient or modern) and examine how that person displayed courage and conviction with a decision they made or throughout his/her life. Contest entries can be submitted in any three of the following formats:
* An essay of no less than 500 words and not more than 2,000 words, supplemented with a bibliography and endnotes. Entries may be submitted in either of the following forms: 1) Microsoft Word document or 2) PDF document.
* A documentary or PowerPoint presentation that reflects your ability to communicate your figure’s importance, and also helps you develop skills in using photographs, video, graphic presentations, etc. Documentaries should not exceed more than 10 minutes, and sources used should be credited through a bibliography.
* A website that reflects your ability to use website design software and computer technology to communicate how your historical figure influenced history. Your website should include a collection of web pages, interconnected with hyperlinks, that presents primary and secondary sources and interactive multimedia. Sources used should be credited through a bibliography.
All entries must be received by April 10, 2019 and can be emailed to Bob Nasson at rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org (please type “Lessons of Leadership” in the subject line). Submissions will be judged by the NHC Advisory Board and winners will be announced at the end of April.Awards: First Place - $2,000Second Place - $1,000 (two prizes)Third Place - $500 (two prizes) |

|  |

|   |

|  |

|  |

| I am simply one who loves the past and who is diligent in investigating it - Confucius |

|  |

|  National History Club, Inc. | P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144  |