[Ohiogift] National History Club News - late January 2019

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Tue Jan 29 15:47:24 EST 2019

|   |
| National History Club News |
| a partner of HISTORY® | January 2019 |

 American Association for State and Local History Rollins College Swarthmore College

|   |

|      The Life of Frederick Douglass: A Graphic Narrative of a Slave's Journey from Bondage to Freedom  Written by David F. Walker; Illustrated by Damon Smyth and Marissa Louise   Ten Speed Press | Trade Paperback | 978-0-399-58144-1 | 192 pages | $19.99   A graphic novel biography of the escaped slave, abolitionist, public speaker, and most photographed man of the nineteenth century, based on his autobiographical writings and speeches, spotlighting the key events and people that shaped the life of this great American.   "Walker's narrative reads like a fireside chat with the grandfather of the abolitionist movement and illuminates dark corners of American history with the soulful reflection and truth-telling. This masterful story of emancipation draws from Frederick Douglass' epic life to capture our national history through his personal narrative. This graphic narrative should be in every classroom in America! Douglass' life story illuminates how great men, women, and indeed nations are born of moral struggle, perseverance, and progress." -- Deirdre Lynn Hollman, educator and founder of The Black Comics Collective   Educators: To request a complimentary examination copy to review for classroom use, please contact us at K12education at edu.penguinrandomhouse.com or call us toll free at (844) 851-3955.    |

       Read the Fall NHC Newsletter!
          NHC Sponsors
   -  Agricultural History Society
   -  American Association for State and Local History
   -  Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
   -  George Washington's Mount Vernon
   -  Gilder Lehrman Institute
   -  HISTORY
   -  History 500
   -  Laurel Hill Cemetery
   -  Museum of Florida History
   -  National Council for History Education
   -  National Vietnam War Museum
   -  National World War I Museum
   -  National World War II Museum
   -  Omohundro Institute
   -  Society of Architectural Historians
   -  The Churchill Centre
   -  The History List
   -  The Concord Review
   -  Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund

|   |

|   |
|   |
|   |

| American Association for State and Local History |
|   |     Today's students are tomorrow's leaders and voters, and learning critical thinking skills and the relevance of history to contemporary issues is more important than ever. To create a more inclusive and equitable future, citizens need to understand how to embrace difficult history and discussions in order to learn from the past.   The American Association for State and Local History (AASLH) is a national membership organization that has been connecting and guiding the history field for over seventy-five years. We offer workshops, webinars, publications, and other resources to help history practitioners, learners, and teachers to understand how the events of the past affect today and tomorrow. We work with our network of over five thousand members in museums, archives, historic sites, university programs, libraries, schools, and other locations to help them inspire visitors and students and make the most of their resources.   Our resources include webinars and publications on interpreting controversial history, women's suffrage, Native American activism, civil rights, digital humanities, and much more. Whether you are looking to supplement existing curriculum, pursue special projects in the classroom, or better equip students with the tools to become educated citizens, we invite you to learn more about AASLH, our goals, and how we can work together at www.aaslh.org.    |
|   |  |
|   |

| Rollins College |
|   |     The history faculty at Rollins College believe that the study of history is central to acquiring a liberal education.  It introduces all other liberal arts subjects and illuminates our past, providing us with a sense of continuity and moral purpose. By understanding the work of those in the past, there is a greater appreciation for the responsibility we have for future generations.  Professors at Rollins emphasize critical reading and thinking, persuasive analytical writing, and active classroom participation in their teachings.   With the support of the College, Professors have been able to organize field studies allowing students to further their historical knowledge and apply the skills they have learned in classes.  Students taking their Senior Capstone create a portfolio to provide a self-reflective academic autobiography in this final course in the major.  History alumni from Rollins have been able to pursue careers in education, law, banking, government, and many others.    |
|   | Visit the Rollins' History Department |
|   |

| Swarthmore College |
|   |     At Swarthmore College, the study of history engages the inside and the outside, the personal and the collective. We think about how history feels but also what its consequences are in the world. We study change over time and wrestle with essential questions of how and why. We study the distance between then and now, and work to understand the past for its own sake as well as its consequences in the present.   History students sift and interpret evidence and craft their own distinctive interpretations. We are detectives chasing clues, we are storytellers and mediators. Our faculty members have diverse interests: Some study social, cultural, and political movements; others examine everything from ecology to sexuality to the history of food. What they all share is commitment to empowering students to take a global, comparative approach to the art, practice, and study of history.   Ultimately, Swathmore's History Department gives students the intellectual and analytical skills to think critically about the past, the present and the future.    |
|   | Find out more information! |
|   |

|  |
|    :: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org   :: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org    |
|  |
|     |
|  |

|  |

| National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144 |