[Ohiogift] Cognitive Testing for ESL Students

Eric C Calvert eric.calvert at northwestern.edu
Mon Oct 29 17:37:43 EDT 2018

To build on Colleen’s comments, I would add to this a recommendation against trying to translate an English-language test “in house.” The gold standard is to use tests where the publisher provides a form of that test that has not merely been translated, but actually validated with students whose first language is the language of the test form.

Unfortunately, the options available on the approved list are limited in this regard. (A Spanish form of the WISC is available, but you really need a fluent Spanish speaker to administer and score it who is also qualified to administer the WISC. So, that’s a significant barrier for many districts.)

So, I would probably advise to also test any ESL students who speak Spanish as their first language who scored anywhere remotely close to the cut score for identification in the superior cognitive area using NNAT or CogAT using an achievement test in Spanish to see if they can be identified in specific academic areas. The Logramos is aligned with the Iowa Tests but has been specifically re-validated with native Spanish speaking students, as has the Woodcock-Munoz. There’s also a Spanish form of the Terra Nova called Supera (although Supera is not explicitly approved.)

But, while the current “approved” options for identification in the superior cognitive area are so limited, I would also suggest that districts with EL populations consider reviewing their criteria for accessing services so that EL students who are identified in specific academic areas but fall short in the superior cognitive area aren’t weeded out unnecessarily. Hopefully in the future the menu of testing options will expand so there are testing options in all the identification categories that allow schools to select tests that are appropriate for each student and purpose. For now, be mindful of how the limitations of testing options might stack the decks against bright non-native English speakers in your districts.

--
Eric Calvert, Ed.D.
Associate Director