[Ohiogift] Professional learning in 2018 (including a Webinar--live tomorrow, link available after that)

Croft, Laurie J laurie-croft at uiowa.edu
Mon Jan 8 14:29:03 EST 2018

Happy New Year!

I wanted to remind you of different options that might help you-or colleagues-understand and meet the needs of gifted learners in 2018.  You can keep up with opportunities here at the University of Iowa Belin-Blank Center by subscribing to our newsletter; as Emily Ladendorf noted in December; :

The December newsletter<http://belinblank.org/newsletter> is on its way to almost 22,000 people!  If you'd like to add to that number, please feel free to share<http://belinblank.org/newsletter> (http://mailchi.mp/uiowa/whats-new-at-the-belin-blank-center-980169) or subscribe<http://eepurl.com/k1UxL> (http://uiowa.us4.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=bee15cd3e81099d4e1433f194&id=3f5562ef56).

You can read more about our Spring professional development opportunities here:  https://belinblank.wordpress.com/2017/12/19/spring-into-professional-learning/.  The first opportunity for you (and for interested parents) is the Center's Spring Webinar, The Best-Kept Secret in Gifted Education: Above-Level Testing, on Tuesday, January 9, 4:30 - 6:00 Central Standard Time.  Read more about the Webinar-and register at:  belinblank.org/webinar<http://www2.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/Educators/Webinar/>.  If you can't join us in person, you can register to receive a link to the Webinar, giving you access at a time convenient for you (and a link that you can refer to more than once).  You can also read more about this "secret to understanding high-ability students' academic needs" at https://belinblank.wordpress.com/2017/12/12/sharing-the-secret-to-understanding-high-ability-students-academic-needs/.

You can extend your understanding about above-level testing, known as "talent search," by enrolling in a one-semester-hour credit option (EDTL:4096:0WKA).  You must be registered as a Continuing Education Student ("nondegree"):   (visit https://<https://distance.uiowa.edu/students/nondegree-distance-education>distance.uiowa.edu/students/nondegree-distance-education<https://distance.uiowa.edu/students/nondegree-distance-education>).  Once you have your HawkID and password and have an account, let me (Laurie-Croft at uiowa.edu<mailto:Laurie-Croft at uiowa.edu>) know that you want to enroll in EDTL:4096:0WKA Topics:  Best Kept Secret in Gifted Education: Above-Level Testing.  I'll give you special permission electronically, and you can visit MyUI (https://myui.uiowa.edu/my-ui/home.page), log in with  your HawkID and password, and enroll.

If you are pursuing a gifted education endorsement, this one-semester-hour class fulfills a requirement in the Programming strand for the Iowa TAG Endorsement.  As Jan Hansen said-back in 1992<http://www.davidsongifted.org/Search-Database/entry/A10150>-"the principle reason for identifying highly gifted children is to help them get a better education than they probably would get otherwise. Tests designed for age-peers are powerless in yielding information to meet this end. One effective method of discovering highly gifted students is by above-level testing" (you can read more from Hansen, J. (1992). Discovering highly gifted students. Understanding Our Gifted, 4(4) at http://www.davidsongifted.org/Search-Database/entry/A10150.

All of us at the Belin-Blank Center wish you a successful 2018!  If we can do anything to support your work, just let us know-and let your students know about summer programs here, if they want to try something geographically different ;-o   They can see what we have for students by starting here:  https://www2.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/students/default.aspx?o=0&s=class-&g=.

Laurie

Laurie J. Croft, Ph.D.
Clinical Professor, Teaching and Learning

Associate Director for Professional Development
The Connie Belin & Jacqueline N. Blank International Center
  for Gifted Education and Talent Development
600 Blank Honors Center
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242-0454
319/335-6148  800/336-6463
Fax 319/335-5151
e-mail:  laurie-croft at uiowa.edu<mailto:laurie-croft at uiowa.edu>
http://www.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank

Follow us on Twitter @belinblank or @LCroft57

Nurturing Potential | Inspiring Excellence