[Ohiogift] National History Club News Update

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Mon Oct 30 16:07:16 EDT 2017

National History Club News

a partner of HISTORY®

October 2017

University of Rhode Island

The Ohio State University

TCR Academy

The Great Quake

        How the Biggest Earthquake in North America Changed Our Understanding of the Planet
            by Henry Fountain

            Crown | Hardcover | 978-1-101-90406-0 | 288 pages | $28.00 | Lexile Level: 1190L

            On March 27, 1964, the biggest earthquake ever recorded in North America--measuring 9.2 on the Richter scale--demolished the city of Valdez and obliterated the coastal village of Chenega. The work of George Plafker, the scientist sent to look for geological clues to explain the dynamics of earthquakes, helped to confirm the then controversial theory of plate tectonics that explained how and why such deadly quakes occur, and how to plan for the next one.

            "The book shines . . . as the story of an unpretentious geologist whose brilliant analysis of the great quake's causes provided crucial backing for one of the biggest ideas in all of science." -- Dan Fagin, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Tom's River

            "Journalist Henry Fountain provides us with a forthright and timely reminder of the startling historical consequences of North America's largest known earthquake." - Nature

            Educators: To request a review copy, email  K12education at edu.penguinrandomhouse.com or call toll free 844-851-3955.

                Join the NHC Today!

    Find out how to affiliate your school

             College History Department Sponsors
        American University
        Barnard College
        Brandeis University
        Brown University
        Carnegie Mellon University
        Coe College
        Connecticut College
        Cornell University
        Depaul University
        Franklin & Marshall College
        Grand Valley State University
        Johns Hopkins University
        Kean University
        Marquette University
        Massachusetts Institute of Technology
        Middlebury College
        Mount Holyoke College
        New York University
        Northwestern University
        Oberlin College

        Penn State University
        Princeton University
        Rice University
        Stanford University
        St. John's University
        Suffolk University
        Syracuse University
        Temple University
        Texas Christian University
        Tulane University
        University of Alabama
        University of California Los Angeles
        University of Cincinnati
        University of Chicago
        University of Colorado
        University of Florida
        University of Iowa
        University of Massachusetts Amherst
        University of Michigan
        University of Ohio

        University of Oklahoma
        University of Pennsylvania
        University of Rhode Island
        University of Tennessee
        University of Texas
        University of Vermont
        Vanderbilt University
        Wake Forest University
        Wellesley College
        West Virginia University
        Wright State University

University of Rhode Island

            The History Department at the University of Rhode Island cultivates an informed understanding and appreciation of past societies and cultures through its diverse course offerings. The faculty prides itself on teaching students to write persuasively, read critically, and think creatively about human experiences in the past throughout the world. The capstone course sequence for majors provides students with an outstanding research experience.

            The Department offers Bachelor's and Master's degrees in History, as well as combined graduate degrees in History and Information and Library Studies; and History, Archaeology and Anthropology. Undergraduate students frequently double major in History and fields such as Elementary or Secondary Education, Political Science, Women's Studies, African-American Studies, Theater, and Journalism. Our students pursue careers in business, education, public history, law, public service, and advanced historical research.

Visit the URI History Department!

The Ohio State University

            Originally formed in 1879 as the Department of History and Philosophy, The Ohio State University's Department of History aspires to distinction in scholarship, teaching, and service. As a top-tier department in an eminent public university, we seek to advance the highest standards of our discipline. Because we believe that research inspires great teaching, our mission is to promote the finest historical scholarship, and to offer both graduate and undergraduate students the most rigorous and intellectually challenging education. Espousing the values of a diverse and collegial community of historians, we explore connections across areas, eras, and themes. We strive to provide comprehensive and challenging understandings of the complexity of the human past to audiences across the state, the nation, and the world at large.

            The Department of History at Ohio State's Center for Historical Research brings together scholars from various disciplines to examine issues of broad contemporary relevance in historical perspective. Further, The Harvey Goldberg Center for Excellence in Teaching is at the heart of the department's effort to promote innovative and effective teaching strategies. In addition to its many initiatives, The Goldberg Center produces "Origins: Current Events in Historical Perspective," which is an online magazine featuring work by leading historians, and "History Talk," a podcast featuring smart conversations about today's most interesting topics.

Find out more information!

TCR Academy

            July 15 to July 27, 2018 -- Boston, Massachusetts

            Over the past four years, The Concord Review Summer Programs have provided academic expository writing instruction in preparing serious academic History research papers of their own for 79 secondary students, from China, the Czech Republic, Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand, and from nine American states.

            Some History teachers completed their college degrees and teacher preparation without ever having written a serious History research paper of their own. For others it has been a while since they did some historical research. One reason not many History term papers are assigned in American high schools is that many teachers either do not have the experience or the confidence to provide students with the preparation in nonfiction reading and academic expository writing they need to write such papers.

            The TCR Academy Pilot will ask twelve secondary teachers of History to test a model for having teachers work on serious (e.g. 6,000-word) History research papers over a two-week program. There will be an assignment before the program and the participants may work to finish their paper after the program. We are in the process of seeking a grant to cover the $5,000 stipend for each participant. If the grant is notprovided, we will rely on the Professional Development funds available for programs like this.

            Just as teachers who go on Outward Bound courses, and then on their return urge students and colleagues to go on one, it is our hope that teachers coming from a serious effort in the TCR Academy on a History research paper of their own will be more likely to ask their students to work on one when they return to their classroom.

            Those interested should contact Will Fitzhugh, Founder and Editor, The Concord Review, at fitzhugh at tcr.org.

            ::            rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org

            ::            http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org

National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144