[Ohiogift] National History Club News Update

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Tue Aug 29 13:08:13 EDT 2017

National History Club News

a partner of HISTORY®

August 2017

How to affiliate your school with the National History Club

Depaul University

Doing History: To The Revolution!

Alexander Hamilton: The Graphic History of an American Founding Father

        by Jonathan Hennessey
            Illustrated by Justin Greenwood

            A graphic novel biography of the American legend who inspired the hit Broadway musical Hamilton.

            Alexander Hamilton was one of the most influential figures in United States history--he fought in the Revolutionary War, helped develop the Constitution, and as the first Secretary of the Treasury established landmark economic policy that we still use today. Cut down by a bullet from political rival Aaron Burr, Hamilton has since been immortalized alongside other Founding Fathers such as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson--his likeness even appears on the ten-dollar bill.

            In this fully-illustrated and impeccably researched graphic novel-style history, author Jonathan Hennessey and comic book illustrator Justin Greenwood bring Alexander Hamilton's world to life, telling the story of this improbable hero who helped shape the United States of America.

            "This book needs to be in schools and on your shelves. Hennessey knows his Hamilton history and Greenwood's art has a pulse that makes the founder's story as compelling for comics as it is for great theatre." -- Jeff Parker, writer of Future Quest and Batman '66

            Ten Speed Press | Trade Paperback | 978-0-399-58000-0 | 176 pages | $19.99

            Educators: To request a review copy, email PRHEducation at penguinrandomhouse.com

                NHC Spring Newsletter

    View the latest issue!

             NHC Supporters
        ACLS Humanities E-Book
        Ahoy New York Tours and Tasting
        Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
        George Washington's Mount Vernon
        Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
        HISTORY
        History 500
        Laurel Hill Cemetery
        Museum of Florida History
        National Council for History Education
        National Museum of American History
        National Vietnam War Museum
        National World War II Museum
        Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture
        Organization of American Historians

        Phi Alpha Theta
        Society of Architectural Historians
        The Churchill Centre
        The Concord Review
        Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund

How to affiliate your school with the National History Club

            When you join the National History Club, you join students and teachers from around the country in learning, reading, writing, and living history. The NHC's main goal is to bring together students and teachers with a real passion for history, helping them learn from each other's ideas, experiences, and stories, which are distributed through our tri-annual eNewsletter, monthly eUpdates, and other communication methods.

            We do not limit the scope of activities that a chapter may participate in---each club is allowed to navigate its own course. This allows for a wide-range of really interesting activities that are displayed in each Newsletter and on our website. Schools are free to decide whether their chapter will be a regular History Club (open to all) or a History Honor Society (with specific requirements for induction). The NHC also co-sponsors multiple award programs to recognize outstanding student members, Advisors, and chapters.

Apply for Charter Membership today!

Depaul University

            The History Department at DePaul offers a full, rich curriculum in undergraduate and graduate education. In addition to its strong undergraduate (B.A.) program with its standard, public, pre-law, and secondary education concentrations, the department offers a minor in Museum Studies, an M.A. degree, and combined BA/MA degrees in secondary education, in journalism, and international studies. The Department offers courses in a broad array of historical topics, spanning geographic, chronological, and theoretical concerns. The Department is also closely linked to a wide variety of interdisciplinary programs within the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, so students have many opportunities to pursue theways that history intersects with other topics and interests. Courses are small, so students have contact with their professors, both in and out of class.

            The department is dedicated to providing a first-rate experience to our undergraduate majors and minors and graduate students. An Annual Student History Conference featuring student papers is held in the Spring Quarter. The Department also sponsors career-related activities, a History Society, and a chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, the National Honor Society for History.

            The department's roughly 35 full and part-time faculty are engaged scholar-teachers, committed to maintaining active scholarly agendas and integrating their research and teaching. Recent publications byfaculty members include prominent books, chapters, and journal articles. DePaul history professors have received federal, state, private and university based grants in recognition of the value of their research

Find out more information about the Depaul History Department!

Doing History: To The Revolution!

            The Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture (OI) is delighted to announce a second season of Doing History, our collaboration with Liz Covart, creator and producer of the popular weekly podcast Ben Franklin's World. Look for it on iTunes or via your favorite podcast provider or stream individual episodes from our website.

            History doesn't change. Or does it?

            In the second season of Doing History: To the Revolution! we look at the ways that the history of the American Revolution has changed over the last two and a half centuries. History changes because of new sources of information, new ways to understand older sources, new perspectives, and new contexts. Historians ask new questions, and investigate new subjects. All of this contributes to new histories of even the most traditional topics.

            We'll be asking not only "what is the history of the American Revolution?" but "what are the histories of the American Revolution?" We will look at the events, ideas, people, and places that created a nation. We will ask how the very first historians of the Revolution, those who lived and then wrote about it, understood it, and how much history has changed since then. We will introduce you to the work of historians in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, and to the scholars of the Revolution who are writing now.

            ::            rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org

            ::            http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org

National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144