[Ohiogift] Summer opportunity for teachers: please share with general education colleagues (priority given to those with little/no background in gifted education)

Croft, Laurie J laurie-croft at uiowa.edu
Thu Feb 16 13:14:54 EST 2017

For over 35 years, educators have benefited from a unique professional development opportunity known as the Connie Belin & Jacqueline N. Blank Fellowship Program in Gifted Education. The Fellowship will be held July 10-14, 2017, on the University of Iowa campus in Iowa City, and the application process has opened<https://www2.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/educators/fellowship/registration.aspx> (https://www2.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/educators/fellowship/registration.aspx).

This exciting professional development experience allows educators (classroom teachers, school counselors, and administrators) to learn more about gifted and talented students and ways to meet their needs. Participants live on campus for a week, collaborating with others who share their commitment.  As one participant said:

"The Fellowship has certainly given me more knowledge. It has also helped me to realize that learning about gifted education is a process, not a destination. I think no matter how long I do this I will have more to learn, but that is okay. It will make me a more compassionate, understanding teacher."

This unique Fellowship is designed for the general education teacher-the individual who spends the greatest amount of classroom time with gifted and talented learners. This year, we also welcome teacher leaders/instructional coaches, knowing they work closely with teachers to improve their practice. An endowment covers the cost of room, board, university resources (including WiFi), and nationally recognized experts in gifted education. We ask that districts support their participants through a payment of a $250 resource fee. These resources are comprehensive, serving as useful resources for others in your district.

Download<https://www2.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/educators/fellowship/Docs/Brochure_2017.pdf> and disseminate a brochure (https://www2.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/educators/fellowship/Docs/Brochure_2017.pdf) providing an overview of the program. Encourage educators who want to learn about the nature and needs of talented children to apply online<https://www2.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/educators/fellowship/registration.aspx>. Each applicant is responsible for completing the application process by March 17 and must ask for a brief statement of support from a district administrator, also submitted online<https://www2.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/educators/fellowship/registration.aspx> by March 17.

If you have any questions about the Fellowship or the application process, please contact Dr. Laurie Croft, Associate Director for Professional Development at laurie-croft at uiowa.edu<mailto:laurie-croft at uiowa.edu> or 319-335-6148/800-336-6463. We look forward to having an educators from your district join us this summer.

Laurie J. Croft, Ph.D.
Clinical Associate Professor, Teaching and Learning

Associate Director for Professional Development
The Connie Belin & Jacqueline N. Blank International Center
  for Gifted Education and Talent Development
600 Blank Honors Center
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242-0454
319/335-6148  800/336-6463
Fax 319/335-5151
e-mail:  laurie-croft at uiowa.edu<mailto:laurie-croft at uiowa.edu>
http://www.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank

Follow us on Twitter @belinblank or @LCroft57

Nurturing Potential | Inspiring Excellence