[Ohiogift] Skipping a grade

Anne Flick anneflick at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 18 17:51:44 EDT 2016

Hi Randi,

Same here.  I know a family where one child was accelerated a couple of grades into the sibling's grade.  They just graduated a year ago first and third in their (not small) class.  Both went four states away to the same state but different colleges, and both are happy now in their sophomore years.
I know the IAS says it is a definite no-no, but I don't think the IAS anticipates all types of kids, especially PG kids, who often *need* radical acceleration.  There are multiple anecdotes of successes despite the IAS directive.  Like everything in parenting more then one child, we have to weigh the costs and benefits to multiple children, make the best decision we can, and adjust later if needed.

If you want to take it to its extreme, the IAS also deems the child's opposition to acceleration as a critical item.  (That one I think would be much harder to overcome.)  Should it be that honoring the older child's wishes shuts out the option the younger child needs?  It seems here the IAS has to be overruled for one child or the other.  I think the two-in-one grade issue is much easier to deal with, especially given the younger already spends half the day in the higher grade anyway.
Best wishes in your journey,Anne