[Ohiogift] National History Club News Update - July 2016

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Fri Jul 29 11:24:32 EDT 2016

National History Club News
a partner of HISTORY®	July 2016

Barnard College

Veterans Video History Contest

Oberlin University

Cracking the AP U.S. History Exam, 2017 Edition
Written by Princeton Review

Princeton Review | Trade Paperback | 978-1-101-92003-9 | 464pp. | $18.99

Equip your students to ace the AP U.S. History Exam with The Princeton Review's comprehensive study guide---including thorough content reviews, targeted strategies for every question type, access to our AP Connect portal online, and 2 full-length practice tests with complete answer explanations.

.

For more information, click here
Read the Spring NHC Newsletter!

Click here to view the Newsletter

 NHC Supporters
ACLS Humanities E-Book
Agricultural History Society
Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
Centre for International Governance Innovation
George Washington's Mount Vernon
Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
HISTORY
History News Network
History 500
Laurel Hill Cemetery
Maryland Historical Society
Museum of Florida History
National Council for History Education
National Museum of American History
National Vietnam War Museum
National World War II Museum
Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture
Organization of American Historians
Phi Alpha Theta
Society of Architectural Historians
The Churchill Centre
The Concord Review
Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
World History Association

Barnard College

History is not only the record of the past, but also the discipline of investigating and interpreting the past. The study of history develops habits of critical thinking and effective writing, as well as cultivates the careful analysis of various types of quantitative and qualitative evidence.

Barnard students who major in History focus their study on a region (such as Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, South Asia), period (such as ancient, medieval, modern), or theme (such as urban history, intellectual history, colonial history, economic history, etc.). Class formats range from introductory survey courses to seminars. The senior thesis is the culmination of undergraduate history education at Barnard. Students draw upon the skills of research, analysis, and argumentation that they acquire as a History major to dig deeply into one area of history and to emerge as an expert on that topic.

The Barnard History Department has funds to support archival and field research in the United States and abroad. In recent years, History majors have utilized these funds to conduct research in China, Florida, England, Hungary, Singapore, and Texas. In addition to the many events related to the study of history on campus, the History Department hosts events for faculty and majors several times a semester.

A History degree is valuable not only to undergraduates who intend to pursue advanced degrees in the field, but also to students interested in exploring the diversity and complexity of the human past as they hone their analytical and expository skills. Historical knowledge and historical thinking are translatable to realms of experience far beyond the classroom---from the job market to the exercise of citizenship. Feel free to learn more about Barnard through their Facebook page.

	Visit the History Department!

Veterans Video History Contest

The Veterans Video History Contest will be holding its 3rd annual contest this summer and fall! We encourage high school students to take part in the mission of preserving the legacy of America's heroes. Students are encouraged to collect oral histories from veterans, so that these timeless stories of valor and sacrifice are never forgotten.

Students may interview veterans from across generations, and particularly if possible, those with whom our time is limited: our elder veterans of World War II and Korea. By using media to mobilize youth, the Veterans Video History Contest will connect generations and honor the service of our nation's heroes, inspiring students to take a greater interest in our nation's history and freedoms.

	About the Contest!

Oberlin University

History is one of the largest academic departments at Oberlin. Interdisciplinary by design, we engage our students in numerous subjects approached through a variety of methodologies to help them become astute observers, practiced researchers, and critical thinkers. Our students study history and historical narratives in different cultures, and political and social institutions in order to become competent communicators who are able to interpret information and express ideas in written, digital, and oral forms.

We offer an in-depth curriculum that covers East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, Latin America, Europe and Russia, and the United States. Our courses also contribute to and provide entry points into many related fields of study, including Comparative American studies, Africana Studies, East Asian studies, Classics, and Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies.

Oberlin history faculty members are accomplished, widely published scholars, and committed teachers who work closely with students. We introduce our students to the joys of historical research, and teach them how to pose and answer significant and meaningful questions. History majors are regularly awarded department grants to do research in archives around the world. Our graduates go on to careers in a wide variety of fields, from teaching to law to social justice work, and our department is among the largest undergraduate source of students for doctoral degrees in history of any liberal arts college in the country.

	Find out more about the Department!

:: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org
:: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org

National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144