[Ohiogift] Accelerating a student from middle school to high school.

June R. Allred-Smith jasmith at rpesd.org
Wed May 4 14:21:21 EDT 2016

Ladies and Gents, I would like your input on accelerating a middle school
student into high school.  For instance, if an 8th grader wishes to
accelerate to 10th grade for reading and math, how does that student
"skip" 9th grade English and math and still meet the required number of
credits to graduat?.  How would this affect their GPA?

In my experience, I have only dealt with one student in this situation
(until now) several years ago.  I gave the student ACT end of course exams
in order for her to receive credit for the courses skipped.  Our ESC
picked up the cost of the tests.  Is administering such tests, either
commercial or the state end-of-course exams, necessary for the student to
earn the course credits they are skipping?

If you have any other approaches to this issue, I would really appreciate
hearing from you.

June Allred-Smith
Gifted Coordinator
Ross Pike ESC