[Ohiogift] Does class size matter?

Sandra Warren Sandra at arliebooks.com
Thu Mar 24 07:29:40 EDT 2016

I agree with the research that class size does matter so don't misconstrue
what I'm about to say as something I believe.

Years ago, and I'm talking maybe at least 25-years ago, a parent of several
gifted children told me they look for the biggest classes possible and
request that their children be put in them because, as they rationalized,
the teacher would be so busy with all the others that their gifted children
would be left alone to learn on their own and fly through the material.

It worked for them, I guess, BUT, that would only work IF the school
allowed students to "fly through the material" and learn on their own and
accelerate and if their gifted children were self-motivated learners and so
many other ands, I don't have time to list them all.

Like I said, I believe class size--small class size--matters.

Sandra

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 7:09 AM, (Mary Collier) via Ohiogift <
ohiogift at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> To me, it is just plain common sense that class size matters.  Ask parents
> if it makes a difference to raise 15 kids or two kids.  Ask coaches if it
> makes a difference to have 5 basketball players on the court or 15 at the
> same time.  There is even a debate about how many football players to have
> on a huge football field at the same time, but never as many as a class
> size.
> Mary Collier

NEW On Amazon:  *We Bought a WWII Bomber: The Untold Story of a Michigan
High School, a B-17 Bomber & The Blue Ridge Parkway!  "This bit of local
history is a reminder of unheralded resolve and determination by students
during WWII" Publishers Weekly/BookLife *
*Book Trailer: *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUmxqhIpadI

Author of Arlie the Alligator and other books for children and adults!
www.sandrawarren.com
www.arliebooks.com
http://sandrawarrenwrites.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/SandraWarrenNC