[Ohiogift] How The U.S. Is Neglecting Its Smartest Kids

Sandra Warren Sandra at arliebooks.com
Mon Aug 24 19:13:39 EDT 2015

WOW OH WOW!

Thanks for sharing this, Margaret!

Now it's time for advocates, educators, professors as well as parents to
SHARE this information with everyone they know.

Sandra :-)

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Margaret DeLacy via Ohiogift <
ohiogift at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Anya Kramenetz has published a story on National Public Radio entitled
> "How The U.S. Is Neglecting Its Smartest Kids"'
> August 24, 2015 5:58 AM ET
>

> http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/08/24/432869964/how-the-u-s-is-neglecting-its-smartest-kids
> ?
>

> It consists of a description of the research carried out by Chester Finn
> in advance of his new book, due out in a few weeks.
>
> The profile ends with this astounding comment, evidently inserted by the
> author herself:
>
> "In the background of this book, there's a bigger issue: There's not much
> research supporting exactly what works best for gifted students. "
>
> Gifted education is one of the most thoroughly researched fields in
> education.  It has accreted more than a century of studies including
> several "metadata" studies (studies of studies) and several US Federal
> government reports in addition to government reports by several other
> developed countries. We absolutely know what works for gifted students:
> ability grouping, acceleration, and advanced classes.
>
> The research is overwhelming.  A decade or so ago, I tallied studies on
> ability grouping alone and came up with thousands.  If I started burning
> the paper that these studies were originally published on I could heat a
> large school for years to come--which would probably do more good than the
> studies themselves have accomplished.
>
> What we lack is implementation.  It's so much easier to claim that no one
> knows what to do than actually to do something politically difficult.
>
> A few resources are below.
>
> I would have shared them with NPR but I can't get my password to work.  If
> you have better luck, feel free to comment on the article.
>
> Margaret
>
> A reasonable place to start is the NAGC:
> http://www.nagc.org/resources-publications/gifted-education-practices
>

> There are also the numerous research-based publications of the National
> Research Center on the Gifted and Talented:
>
> http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/nrcgt/nrconlin.html
>
> summarized in a brief brochure for "policy makers"
> http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/nrcgt/reports/Trifolds/A9511.pdf

*NEW On Amazon:  We Bought a WWII Bomber: The Untold Story of a Michigan
High School, a B-17 Bomber & The Blue Ridge Parkway!*

Author of Arlie the Alligator and other books for children and adults!
www.sandrawarren.com
www.arliebooks.com
http://sandrawarrenwrites.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/SandraWarrenNC