[Ohiogift] Fw: Gifted Math student

Anne Flick anneflick at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 00:04:20 EDT 2015

Hi Pat,
ALEKS has a placement assessment.
I have two AoPS books but have not had students enroll in their courses.  I know *lots* of families that have used it, though, and almost to a one, rave about it.  The online community they offer students is a plus.
I believe AoPS was working on getting accreditation for this fall to deal with all the schools that did not now how ultra-high-quality the program is and balked at giving credit.  Luckily, with credit flex in Ohio, we do not have to worry about that.

Of course, your student could work just with the book and their free online problems, Alcumus.  There are videos for prealgebra and algebra too.

One assessment approach to consider is the AoPS placement tests on the web site.  If the student can pass their "Do You Need This?" test, move him on to the same test for the next class.  When he gets to one he does not pass, you may have him do the "Are You Ready for This?" test just to make sure he has the prerequisite skills for that course.
AoPS C&P and Number Theory courses offer paths for a gifted math student to go wide rather than rush to calc.
Just from reading the description, I was wary of the typed format of the class, but then I participated in their Math Jam to sample the class format live, and I was won over.  The format in no way interferes, even for a non-digital native like me.  But the approach to instruction is excellent, and you really could get a taste of that.  In fact, the format supports it,  (It's so cool that the instructor can "whisper" to an individual student.)  Your student could try it out next week: Math Jams - Art of Problem Solving

|   |
|   |   |   |   |   |
| Math Jams - Art of Problem SolvingMath Jams Previous Math Jams Math Jams are free online discussions hosted by Art of Problem Solving for a variety of purposes, including: Informational sessions about Art of Problem Solving classes.  |
|  |
| View on www.artofproblemsolving.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

Eric very modestly refrained from mentioning CTD's and CTY's online math courses designed specifically for gifted students.  I suggest investigating closely, though, to determine fit.  For example. last I checked, CTY just uses Thinkwell courses (charging a whole lot more than Thinkwell), and individual instructors' contributions can range down to the quite minimal.  Also, the student would need to be able to thrive in an independent study arrangement.
Another starting point for you, though, could be comparing this student's SAT or ACT scores with the minimums required for the various math courses through CTD or CTY.  Of course, as Hindy referenced, those would also help if CCP is under consideration.
Then there are always the in-house final exams for algebra I, geometry, etc.

HTH,Anneanneflick at yahoo.com

We have a highly gifted 8th grade Math student moving into our district and need instructional and assessment resources.  The student was homeschooled and we need to determine the best placement.  Although acceleration is a consideration, we also want to investigate options that help students develop a deeper understanding of the subject.
1) Have any of you used the AoPS (Art of Problem Solving) online Math courses?  If so, what were your experiences?  Did your students take them for course credit at your school?
2) Are you aware of other online HS Math course options designed specifically for gifted students?
3) Can you recommend an assessment that can help determine a student's math instructional level for placement into high school courses?

Thank you!Pat