[Ohiogift] Davidson Institute eNews-Update for July 2015

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Wed Jul 15 11:04:04 EDT 2015

      The information below also is online, here: http://news.ditd.org/July_15/eNews_July15_web.htm
      			                                                                         			 			July 2015

                                   		                 What's New in Gifted Education | Davidson News | Legislative & Policy News | On the Web | In the News | In the  			Spotlight  			                                                 			                    What's New in Gifted Education  		                                 			 			 				 					  						Google  					Global Science Fair at the Forefront of Scientific Innovation
  Twenty-five  					Americans comprise 90 of the Regional Finalists for the  					Google Global Science Fair. The finalists’ projects address  					a number of crucial, timely issues, including: A 					 					novel solution to improve cancer detection and diagnosis  					through cell segmentation and artificial intelligence  					techniques; an  					innovative model to assist hand movements, grip and tremor; 					and an 					 					inventive system for removing multiple classes of toxins  					from water. Google will announce the 15 Global  					Finalists Aug. 4.

  						 					2015 Class of Thiel Fellows –  					Crafting the Future of Higher Education
  					The 2015 class of  					   					Thiel Fellows comprised of 20 young entrepreneurs  was recently announced. Thiel Fellowships consist of separate grants of  $100,000  					during two years to 20 young people per year so that  					recipients can leave the classroom and pursue innovation. In  addition to the financial support, Thiel Fellows are mentored by  hundreds of highly accomplished entrepreneurs, scientists, investors,  thinkers and innovators. In exchange, Thiel Fellows agree to take a  two-year hiatus from the classroom and so they can focus their energy  and attention on creating innovative startups, technologies and  nonprofits. 					 					Click here to read about the 2015 class. Sources: 					Business Insider, The Next Web

  					"The Benefits and Pressures of Being a Young Genius"
  					The  					New York Times  					recently published a series of op-eds detailing "The Benefits and Pressures of Being a Young Genius,"  					with topics that include how to challenge highly talented children,  					balancing normal life and special talent, the difficult  					transition to adult genius and more.
  					  				 				 								 			 			           		 	  		     			       Davidson News 			                     			 			 				 					  					  							 							Davidson Academy of Nevada
  				 					A free public school,  							the 							Davidson Academy of Nevada   					encourages and supports the abilities, strengths and interests of  profoundly gifted middle and high school students. If you are interested  in applying to  							the Davidson Academy for the 2016-2017 school year, the  application will be posted  							next month.  							Meanwhile, please visit the   						 						How to Apply and the  					Application Review Process  					pages for more information. Prospective  					students interested in receiving email updates about the  					Academy can subscribe to the  							Davidson Academy eNewsletter by  					clicking here.

  							Upcoming Tours for Prospective Students
 Each  					month during the school year, the Davidson Academy hosts a  					tour for prospective students and their parents. At these  					tours, visitors meet current Academy students, parents,  					faculty and staff, and ask specific questions about the  					school. Our upcoming school tours will be held on the  					following Fridays: Sept. 18, 					Oct. 23, Nov. 20 and  					Dec. 11. RSVPs are required. For additional details and to RSVP, please visit  					the  					Tours page.

  					 					Davidson Young Scholars - Updated Qualification Criteria
  					 					Recent updates have been made to the  							Young Scholars program application  							Qualification Criteria.  Applicants are now only required to submit one test  							from this list  of accepted tests, instead of two. Standard scores on specific sections  of individually administered tests must continue to meet or exceed 145  or above; please carefully review the minimum score guidelines on the  Qualification Criteria page for details on these and other tests.  Additional supplemental information, including academic portfolio items,  is now considered optional. The Young Scholars application process  continues to have a rolling application deadline of the first of each  month and students can apply until the age of 16.

  							Please see the 							FAQs page for additional information and, to begin the application process, visit the  							How to Apply  							page after reviewing the 							Qualification Criteria.   							Please know that we are unable to determine whether  							or not an applicant will qualify for the Young Scholars program  outside the context of a complete application. The national  							 							Davidson Young Scholars program offers free support services  for profoundly gifted students ranging in age from 5 to 18 in early  college, educational advocacy, talent and interest development, and peer  connections. Consulting services for parents and a great sense of  community are some of the major benefits for families accepted into the  program.

 2015  							Davidson Fellows Scholarship
 The  							Davidson Institute offers $10,000, $25,000 and  							$50,000  					Davidson  					Fellows scholarships to students 18 and under whose projects have the potential  					to benefit society, and are at the college graduate level.  					Application categories are in the STEM fields, humanities  					and outside the box. The 2015 class of Davidson Fellows will  							be announced in August.

  					 							Educators Guild
  							 										The Davidson Institute's  					Educators Guild  					is a FREE national service for active elementary, secondary  					and post-secondary educators, as well as other professionals  					who are committed to meeting the unique academic needs of  					gifted students. You can become a member of this free online community   					by subscribing  					here.  					There is also an Educators Guild  					discussion group on Facebook  							- join today!

   										   					  				 				 			           		             			 			 				 					   Legislative & Policy News 				            		    			 			 				 					  					  				   CALIFORNIA – The San Diego  Unified School District is overhauling its system for testing students  for entrance into the Gifted and Talented Education program,  transitioning to the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT). Source:  NBC 7 San Diego

  Revo Academy, a gifted learner school for students in grades K-8 in the  Conejo Valley Unified School District, will open this fall. Revo  was founded by educators with experience in gifted education. Source:  Thousand Oaks Acorn

  The Las Virgenes Unified School District Gifted and Talented Education  program recently expanded to include seventh graders. Next year, it will  expand to eighth grade. Source:  Agoura Hills Acorn

    FLORIDA – The self-contained gifted program at Pine View  Middle School in the Pasco County school district will discontinue,  despite the efforts of parents and advocates. The school has disbanded  to become an accredited International Baccalaureate program. Source:  TBO.com

    MASSACHUSETTS – The Leominster Public School District  reversed course on a decision to eliminate the Leominster Educational  Acceleration Program  (LEAP), which is designed to provide specialized teaching for  academically gifted students. Source:  Lowell Sun

    MISSOURI – After 15 months of study, the Gifted Association of Missouri recently submitted an  annual report  listing 10 recommendations to improve the identification of gifted  children and help develop programs in every Missouri school. Sources:  Columbia Missourian,  STLtoday.com

    NEW YORK – Despite scoring high enough on this year's  exam, nearly 20 percent of New York City's 4-year-olds who applied to  gifted and talented programs were left without seats. Source: DNAinfo

    OHIO – Akron Public Schools recently voted to expand  services for gifted students through identification and teacher  training. Source:  Akron.com

 PENNSYLVANIA  – The Grayson School, which plans to open this fall in Broomall and serve gifted students in grades K-6,  will be the first private school for gifted students in the state. Source:  Philly.com

    SOUTH CAROLINA – The Cherokee County School District  recently received a $10,000 grant to fund a new career exploration  program for gifted middle school students. Source:  Gaffney Ledger

    TEXAS – To allow for an easier transition into second  grade, the Midland school district’s Carver Center will begin accepting  gifted first graders starting in the 2015-2016 school year. Source:  Midland Reporter-Telegram

    VIRGINIA – The Petersburg school district will open a new  program for gifted students this fall. The goal is to challenge  high-achieving students and prepare them for high school or college.   Source:  WRIC

    WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Washington, D.C. school district  is introducing a number of gifted programs in its neighborhood schools,  hoping to attract gifted students who may have otherwise fled to suburbs  for an appropriate education. Source:  Washington Post

    WISCONSIN – The Sun Prairie Area School District’s  Talented and Gifted Program will undergo a number of changes next year,  including a broader range of measures of giftedness as well as a greater  emphasis on in-classroom teaching. Source:  Sun Prairie Star

     					             			                  			 			 How gifted-friendly is your state? Find out  				on the 				 				Davidson Gifted Database State Policy Map.
 If you know of new legislation, please contact the Communications Team.
      					 				   					 				 					  				 			 			                     		     		           On the Web 		                            			 			 				 					  					  					 	Gifted Exchange Blog
   					Read Laura Vanderkam's take on all things gifted.  					One of her recent posts is, "New methods of school discipline - and how it might affect gifted kids." Join the discussion  					today!

 World Science Festival
  					The  	World Science Festival  brings together great minds in science and the arts to produce live and  digital content that present  	scientific discovery to a broad general audience. The Festival’s  flagship live event is an annual weeklong celebration and exploration of  science in New York City.

 Featured Articles and Resources
 The Davidson Gifted Database at	www.DavidsonGifted.org/DB is a gateway to resources for  					and about gifted students. 					See what's new!

  	Articles
  	Follow the Fear: Anticipating Missteps in Learning to Write provides information on overcoming the fear of writing.

  	 	This interview with Janette Boazman is on character development and the differences in cognitive development between boys and girls.

  	Tips for Parents: Recipes and Habits for Fast-Moving Families on the Go 	provides 10 simple strategies for busy families.

 Tips for Parents: Twice exceptional students - Who are they and what do they need?  	addresses the needs of 2e students.

  	Resources
  	Adventures of the Mind is a mentoring camp for promising high school students  	across the country. Mentors include astronauts, artists, athletes,  	economists, entrepreneurs and more.

  	The National Engineers Week 	Future City Competition  provides an educational engineering program for seventh- and  eighth-grade students, combining a stimulating engineering challenge  with a 'hands-on' application to present their vision of a city of the  future.

  		 	Homeschool Tracker is a flexible, all-in-one online tool for planning, organizing and managing a homeschool  	plan. This software is suited for groups and co-ops as it allows sharing of lesson plans with other users.

 The 2e: Twice-Exceptional Newsletter provides the latest news and articles on twice-exceptional children.

  					                                                   					 					 					  					 					Suggest a Resource             					Suggest an Article

  					 				 					 	 					  				 			 			                                             				   In the News
  					July 6 - 					 					Gifted Parenting Support,   					Finding Age Appropriate Books for Gifted Readers  					(Lisa Conrad)
 June 30 -  					 					The Atlantic,   					100 Percent Is Overrated  					(James Hamblin)
 June 21 -  					Washington Post,   					Why do schools slow down so many bright children?  					(Jay Mathews)
 June  					12 - 					The North Texan,   					Studying gifted young people 					(Staff)
 						 					June 2015 - 					District Administration Magazine,   					How schools maximize gifted talent  					(Alison DeNisco)
 				 					May 28 - 				 					Washington Post,   					 					The road to a 'genius grant' often starts at lesser-known colleges 					(Nick Anderson)
  					May 27 - 					 					ChicagoNow,   					What will tomorrow bring us?  					(Annemarie Verweij)
   									May 27 -   					NewsOK.com,   					  					Yale, Duke courting 13-year-old Oklahoma student 					  					(Steve Gust)
 	 					May 22 - 					Equities.com,   					Never Short the Geniuses  					(Jared Dillian)
  					 								May 20 - 					 						Education Week,   					Poorest Students Often Miss Out on Gifted Classes  					(Sarah D. Sparks)
  					 					May 14 - ChicagoNow,   					The grade skip dilemma: why your child may fare better than you expect  					(Rhonda Stern)
  					May 12 - Education Week,   					Gifted Education Is About the Whole Child  					(Celi Trépanier)
     					 					May 9 - iSchoolGuide,   					 					Why Doesn't Grade Skipping Happen More Often?  					(Sara Guaglione)

 Discuss these stories and  					more on the  					Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

 				 	 					  				 			 			           		 			                 				   In the  				Spotlight          	                         			 			 				 					  					 	      Alice Zhai
 A 2014 Davidson Fellow Laureate Making a Difference
  What  kind of impact can your Fellows project, “Dependency of U.S. Hurricane  Loss on Maximum Wind Speed and Storm Size” have on society?
  			For my project, I constructed a hurricane economic loss model using  maximum wind speed and size as predictors. Traditional empirical loss  models consider only wind speed and neglect storm size, so these models  could not accurately predict the losses of super-sized storms, such as  Hurricane Sandy in 2012. By including the storm size, my model yields  more accurate loss estimates, which would be useful to insurance  companies and disaster planning. People can use this model to estimate  the impact of global warming on hurricane economic loss. Policy makers  can decide whether to implement new building codes and limit coastal  population and development to reduce the economic loss related to  hurricanes or to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions in order to  mitigate global warming. My model would provide improved quantitative  justifications for policies related to hurricane economic loss.

 What are some of your short-term and   long-term plans?
  			My short-term plan is just to learn as much as I can! I am currently  taking a Python programming class to improve upon my data analysis  skills. I will be attending California Institute of Technology in the  fall, and I plan on mastering the course materials and delving into as  much research as I can. My long-term plan is to combine my interest in  math and science with my passion for helping others. I hope to major in  applied mathematics and pursue a career in finance or business. I want  to utilize my quantitative analysis skills and solve real-world  problems. In the future, I also hope to travel to all the continents  (including Antarctica!) and explore the world.

  					Please describe your academic setting and some positive experiences with mentors.
  	Both of my parents are research scientists, so my curiosity and love  for math and science have developed at an early age. Even in elementary  school, I performed small experiments, such as observing how lollipops  dissolve in liquids and recording temperatures in my backyard. My high  school science teacher, Ms. Patricia Compeau, motivated me to tackle a  research project systematically. After joining her science institute  program, I realized how much there is to be explored beyond the school  curriculum. She encouraged me to make a change in my community and  pursue my science interests. Ms. Compeau even bought me the materials  for my science project about bacteria transformation efficiency.

  For my hurricane loss project, I collaborated with Dr. Jonathan Jiang  from Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and we published a research paper that  reported my findings. Although working alongside a brilliant scientist  seems intimidating, the experience was inspiring. I learned not only how  to use MATLAB programming, write a research paper and make effective  presentations, but also how to communicate with adults and overcome  challenges. Dr. Jiang motivated me to have persistence and patience;  most importantly, he made me realize that a high school student has the  potential to make a scientific breakthrough. I also learned from  Professor Yuk Yung by taking his summer reading class and attending his  lunch seminars. Without the guidance from these mentors, I would not  have been successful in pursuing my science interests.

 			 						 					 					 					 					 					 					  	 					  				 			 			                                     		 			 			 			       Closing Thought 			 	                      			 			 				 					  					  					 									 					 									   										 									"Knowledge about talent  development suggests that gifted children  									thrive when given the opportunity to explore their curiosity at  a pace that works for them. Accelerated coursework and enrichment  programs are critical to the success of such students .  									. .  It’s a myth that gifted children would thrive no matter what their  learning environment."
  									  ~ Camilla Benbow, in the     New York Times op-ed,     Challenge Highly Talented Children

  					  				 			 			                                		                                        If you have information to include in future eNews-Updates, please email our  Communications Team.
                  If you have been forwarded this eNews-Update, and wish to receive future editions,  				sign-up here.

 Davidson Institute for Talent Development
                   Supporting our nation's brightest young minds.
                  9665 Gateway Drive, Suite B, Reno, Nevada 89521
                  Phone: 775-852-3483 Fax: 775-852-2184
                  Email: administrator at davidsongifted.org     Web: www.DavidsonGifted.org