[Ohiogift] How schools maximize talent

Margaret DeLacy margaretdelacy at comcast.net
Sun May 31 01:49:46 EDT 2015

Friends:

Below is a link to and excerpt from an article that has just appeared in District Administration

Margaret

How schools maximize gifted talent
Districts deliver the more rigorous instruction that advanced students need to reach full potential
By:
Alison DeNisco
District Administration, June 2015

The U.S. public school system’s focus on struggling students leaves high-achievers—especially minorities, the economically disadvantaged and English-language learners —without a challenging enough education, experts say.

A lack of federal funding and patchwork policies across states often leave decisions on identifying and serving gifted students to district administrators. An estimated 3 million to 5 million academically gifted students attend K12 schools, and it is unknown how many are receiving services, according to the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC).

“There’s an unfounded sense that it’s somehow elitist to place emphasis on our highest-ability kids,” says Sally Krisel, director of innovative and advanced programs at Hall County Public Schools in northern Georgia. “We need to be committed to kids across the board. It’s a basic equity issue. If we believe all kids deserve to come to school and engage in a curriculum targeted to their current level of development, then gifted programs are as necessary as special ed services.”

http://www.districtadministration.com/article/how-schools-maximize-gifted-talent