[Ohiogift] Advocacy Advice Please

Robin Retzler robin.retzler at retzlercpa.com
Thu May 21 16:45:32 EDT 2015

I'm looking for some advice on how to handle an advocacy issue with my 4th
grader.  Our school system has recently changed its programming for gifted
children to "better" its services (sigh).  I'm not sure this is the place to
give all the details, but here goes anyway.

Prior to the change, LEAP pull-out classes were typically offered for 4th
and 5th graders for Math.  Our elementary did 4th grade LEAP and sometimes
for 5th graders accelerated them into 6th-grade math.  Perhaps the students
had to take a test first and score an 85%, but as this did not apply to my
older son who was already grade accelerated in math, I'm not certain of the
details.  The District decided to offer a 5th/6th-grade math accelerated
track, which I thought was a wonderful idea because I firmly believe that
pacing is a BIG issue for gifted students.  However, it is not enough
apparently that the student is gifted in Math, they must meet a certain
score on a convoluted formula to be placed in the accelerated track.  If the
student does not score enough on this formula, they are out of luck, NO
gifted services for math.

The formula is based on scoring on the Fall Measures of Academic Progress
(MAP) Math test, the Spring MAP Math test, the Cog AT and a teacher rubric.
The tests are each worth a maximum of 9 points and the rubric is worth 4
points for a total of 31 points.  The student must score between 25-31
points in order to be in Math 5/6.  The points are earned based on the
students percentile score on the tests.  For instance, 90-100 percentile is
9 points, 85-89 is 8.5 points, etc.

Now here is the issue for us - I suspect that my son may be 2e and we are in
the process of having some evaluations done.  He has taken the WISC-IV
previously and also has taken the WJ-III achievement tests for Math several
times.  His GAI on the WISC-IV was a 135, as was his Perceptual Reasoning
score.  In the Broad Math on the WJ-III, he has scored between the 96-98
percentile.  He has scored 99 percentile on both Calculation and Applied
Problems, but his Math Calculation score is around the 55 percentile.  These
tests were all given by psychologists.   When he has to take standardized
testing in school, his scores are much lower.  He only scored a 117 on the
OLSAT, and on the MAP testing that he has done this year (which is all on
the computer), he scored a 73 and a 76.  I don't believe the school actually
gave the Cog AT, so it will be difficult for him to score on that one - but
I'm guessing they may substitute the PARCC test Math score, as that was
given in the spring.  I have heard though that the scores for PARCC are not
expected until November. The gap in scores as well as other things leads me
to my 2e suspicion (stealth dyslexia, dysgraphia and a known hearing issue
are all candidates.)

Unless he scores really well on the PARCC Math test, his scores are not
going to be enough to get him into the accelerated class.  I should also
mention that his lowest grade on a math test this year was an 84% (he was
absent for ear surgery for several days at that time), and he typically
scores 95% or above.  I doubt that he will get the 4 on the teacher rubric
as she believes he is an "average" student. I'm guessing that given his
problems with standardized testing in school, he will not do well on the
PARCC Math test.

Given his ability test scores, how quickly I know he picks up on math, and
how frustrated he is at times from the repetition in the classroom, I think
the accelerated class is made for him.  I'm guessing that the District must
be able to legally exclude him from the accelerated class based on their
criteria or they would not be doing it.  I also have enough experience with
the District to know that they are going to be sticklers about him meeting
the criteria, so just asking for him to be put in the class will not be
enough.

Can anyone offer any advice or ideas as to what we might do?  Are there any
legal avenues at all?  We would exhaust all other avenues before we go the
legal route, but if there is already something out there it would be great
to know.  I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!