[Ohiogift] Summer PD opportunity: terrific new engineering curriculum

Sam Stier samstier at gmail.com
Sun May 10 07:16:55 EDT 2015

Attention STEM teachers!

*Come join The Center for Learning with Nature for a week of PD this
Summer, **to learn to use the new Engineering Inspired by Nature
curriculum.*

This online synchronous course is *FREE *for 25 middle or high school
teachers* this Summer only.*

Why teach *Engineering Inspired by Nature?*

·        Applying innovative ideas from the natural world to human
technologies (a.k.a. bio-inspired innovation, biomimicry or biomimetics) is
a cutting-edge practice used by professionals across engineering and design
fields today. These are the jobs of today and tomorrow.

·        Bio-inspired engineering programs have increased rapidly across
colleges and universities over the last decade because of student demand
and job sector growth. Help your students become graduation bound and
college prepped.

·        Bio-inspired innovation is a uniquely effective way of teaching
engineering! Fascinating to learn, exciting to teach, and students love it.
Here’s what students at a public high school said in their evaluations of
the course pilot last Fall:

*“This course has been, without a doubt, my most absolute favorite course
we've had at school so far! I wish we could have it all year like we have
math. The lessons were so unbelievably fascinating! I loved getting to
learn about so many amazing, remarkable creatures and learning how certain
things work. I've noticed that I'm more aware of the products and
technologies we use and the way things, human-made and in nature, function.
Overall, I enjoyed the class immensely and took so much away from it.”*

*“This was a fantastic course. I learned a lot and am now really inspired
to follow along this path. The final project gave me a new goal in life.”*

*“The course was amazing, don't change anything.”*

What to expect and what you will come away with:

·        You will be trained in using an engineering curriculum unlike any
other – praised by domain experts, teacher-tested, student-approved,
empirically effective, NGSS-aligned.

·        5 full days (῀40 hrs contact time) of interactive synchronous
training using video conferencing, outdoor activities, and team projects.

·        The modular and scalable curriculum fits different school
curricula structures, up to one semester in length (30-45 hrs of
instruction).

·        You will never see technology or the natural world the same way
again!

The Center for Learning with Nature is very excited to offer this training
and curriculum in partnership with the Biomimicry Institute, with support
from the Kalliopeia Foundation and Dean Witter Foundation. If you are
interested in learning more and applying to participate in the PD this
summer, please feel free to email me (samstier[at]gmail[dot]com), or apply
directly before May 20th by going to:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ypNSc_jT65svVAtO8aAWPL90Nl8jod3P88Q6YmtXb18/viewform

Please pass this forward to teachers you think may be interested.

*Gecko image by Joe Parks. Gecko-inspired gloves courtesy of Eric Eason,
Biomimetic and Dexetrous Manipulation Lab.*