[Ohiogift] "20 reasons it's horrible to grow up 'gifted'"

Briercheck, Vickie vickie.briercheck at perrylocal.org
Tue Mar 31 17:42:56 EDT 2015

My take is that most of this is true and much of it would have happened to
the people who were quoted with or without the label.  I also believe that
with proper support from teachers, parents and others who know what gifted
does or doesn't mean, much of the negativity could have been avoided.  I
actually hurt for the author and others who were quoted.   Unfortunately,
that is not how the general public will see this.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 2:05 PM, (Mary Collier) via Ohiogift <
ohiogift at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Charlie,
> I guess I have some of the same concerns Art does in that the article does
> little to educate the public, or the students themselves, about how a more
> consistent and better education program K-16 might yield better results for
> gifted students, families, and society.  One student mentioned the
> transition to high school was a problem.  There were other complaints
> directly related to the school environment.  It would be interesting to
> read a similar article about the extracurriculars and being a gifted
> singer, athlete, dancer, or Miss Popularity.  Do they have gripes, too?
> There was a photo adjacent to the article about how extracurriculars
> sometimes become a task, rather than a fun activity.  I think the school
> environment needs to change in many ways instead of  beating the 50s and
> 60s model of education to death.  When we have made education compulsory,
> there is a responsibility to design education programs better for all types
> of students, including gifted students, instead of catering to pockets of
> students, grouping all students by ages, and dumbing many of them down from
> their potential.
>
> Mary Collier

Vickie Briercheck
Assistant Principal
 Pfeiffer Intermediate School
4315 13th Street SW
Massillon, OH  44646
330-478-6163 ext 4002

If we are to have genius, we must put up with the inconvenience of genius,
a thing the world will never do; it wants geniuses but would like them to
be just like other people.
George Moore

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential information.
Such information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or