[Ohiogift] "20 reasons it's horrible to grow up 'gifted'"

Mary Collier redfoxmary at aol.com
Tue Mar 31 01:04:41 EDT 2015

I noticed the author appears to be very young.  Also noted, part of the list has some elements of truth to it regarding experiences in education - lack of consistent services, not being with one's peers, bullying, complacency from lack of challenges, etc.  I think the author does not emphasize enough that the ones quoted for the article were the disgruntled, perhaps also young and depressed, ones who now feel thrust into the broken system of the real world.  So as usual, the parents are blamed, not the system.

History channel had an interesting segment this week on genius, Ancient Aliens, and the concept of universal knowledge - how some geniuses like Leonardo Da Vinci and Einstein appeared to be messengers tapped into the bank of a universal knowledge through their dreams.  Today's system would probably not treat these geniuses very well, either.  I am sure they would not do well in an education/work/business system that drools over and brain damages gifted athletes while neglecting the gifted students.

On Sunday, Fareed Zacharia, host of CNN's Global Public Square had an interesting segment about his new book "In Defense of a Liberal Education" along with Anderson Cooper.  I think Fareed is very smart, but forgot some of the reasons the United States is coasting over its previous successes and importing much of its technical talent.  He also made some points about testing.  That might be an interesting book to read.

Mary Collier