[Ohiogift] Australian Values

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.osu.edu
Wed Feb 11 13:26:13 EST 2015

Kevin Donnelly: What are those pesky “cultural values” that impact Education?

February 11, 2015 by EducationViews.org; Houston, Texas

An Interview with Kevin Donnelly: What are those pesky “cultural values” that impact Education?

Michael F. Shaughnessy

1.		Kevin, tell us a little bit about yourself and what you do “down under” in Australia.

Currently, I am a Senior Research Fellow at the Australian Catholic University and Director of Education Standards Institute – a small think-tank that favours diversity and choice in education and school autonomy. I have published 4 books on education plus I write regularly for Australia’s print media. Last year I co-chaired a Commonwealth government review of our new national curriculum. I taught for 18 years in government and non-government schools.

2. 		You and I both know that there are a lot of cultural values that impact learning and motivation. Could you tell us about a few of them?

Ethnographic studies and research associated with TIMSS and PISA suggest that one of the more influential factors determining results relates to cultural values. An obvious example related to many Asian students, and their families, is the influence of a Confucian ethic. Respect for elders, especially teachers, the belief that learning and knowledge are inherently valuable, the belief that hard work and concentration will be rewarded and a willingness to postpone immediate satisfaction all add up to successful students.

3.		In certain cultures here in America “The Family is the most important thing”. Do you have anything similar in New South Wales or other parts of Australia?

In Australia, many of the top performing school students, measured by academic tests and entry to university, are of Asian and Indian background. Their families are committed to education as a way to ‘get ahead’ and to be socially mobile. Such families reinforce and support what happens at school, often enroll their children in weekend classes and provide a stable, positive home environment. Many native-born Australian students and families, on the other hand, don’t value education as highly and have a more egalitarian view where competition and meritocracy are not considered important.

4.		What are some of the messages that some parents send to their children from childhood on about success and achievement?

The reality is that some families value education more than other families and are willing to commit the time, energy and resources to help their children succeed. One example in Australia are those families that pay for a non-government school education for their children; often at great cost. Some families also surround their pre-school children with books, conversation and give them the belief that concentration and effort are beneficial and worthwhile.

5.		In many parts of the world, the sports and fun culture permeates. Is this true in Australia?

Judged by the daily media, where sport and famous sporting figures receive first page treatment and intellectual and academic success is not given much coverage, it’s clear that sport is considered more important than intellectual and creative pursuits. Intelligent students at school are often called ‘nerds’ and we generally prefer to have a good, relaxing time rather than ‘hitting the books’. Australia is sometimes called the ‘land of the long weekend’ because we like to take time off work and study and go to the beach or just relax.

6.		Some theorists posit that genes, and environment are the most important factors in student success…..your thoughts?

Even though I’ve been criticised for arguing that success or failure at school are heavily influenced by a student’s ‘natural ability’ or genes, I believe such is the case. While other factors, for example teacher ability and quality of the curriculum, are important, it is obvious that some students are different to others.

7. 		Other theorists think that it is the teacher or parent that is the critical factor-what say you?

There is no one reason, I believe, that explains academic success or failure. Those students who are naturally gifted, for example, if they lack motivation or have poor teachers, will most likely under-perform. It’s also true that some schools and teachers and schools are more effective than others in getting students to perform better than otherwise would have been expected. Catholic schools, in Australia, for example, have a record described as ‘high quality-high equity’. Such schools are able to lift the performance of average students to achieve very strong academic results.

8. 		Is there any way a teacher or a school system can control or manipulate or modify some of these cultural factors?

Some schools, as I noted above, are able to ‘add value’ by overcoming family background that might not be supportive of what the school is trying to achieve. A school’s culture and classroom environment are significant factors that can positively influence learning outcomes.

9.		Any research being done in this realm?

One example of research in this area is a paper titled: “How not to reason with PISA data: an ironic investigation” by Yariv Feniger and Adam Lefstein.