[Ohiogift] Fwd: Assistance with G/T Pilot Survey

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.osu.edu
Mon Jan 19 15:06:42 EST 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: Siegle, Del <del.siegle at uconn.edu>
To: anngift <anngift at aol.com>
Sent: Thu, Jan 15, 2015 4:02 pm
Subject: Assistance with G/T Pilot Survey

University of Connecticut
2131 Hillside Road Unit 3007
Storrs, CT 06269-3007
ncrge at uconn.edu
http://ncrge.uconn.edu
We need your help!

It was great seeing many of you at NAGC in November.The University of Connecticut, University of Virginia, Florida State University, and University of California-Berkeley are collaborating with the United States Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences to implement a national study of gifted programs and services. With funding from the Jacob K. Javits Gifted and Talented Students Education Act, the research study focuses on identifying gifted and talented programs that are successful in providing high quality services to students who are typically underserved (i.e., African American, Hispanic or Latino, and Native American), students from economically challenged communities, and students from small town or rural communities We are seeking your assistance in the first stage of the project’s work.

The exploratory phase of the study involves developing and implementing district and school surveys. We are seeking individuals to field test either our school or district survey. The pilot phase is critical in helping us develop surveys that will give us reliable and valid information from schools and school districts that will participate in the study. The district survey is designed for district gifted education coordinators and the school survey is for principals or their designees (probably a teacher of the gifted).
Programs and services for students in grades PK-5 only are the focus of the survey. We have kept the number of items to a minimum and responding simple to limit the amount of time needed to complete responses. Respondents will need approximately 15 minutes to complete one survey.
Data from the pilot will be used to develop a final survey for our research. Ultimately, this work will guide policymakers, educators, and parents who want assurance that all our nation’s gifted and talented students are developing their gifts and talents. We appreciate your help with this important research study.Educators from Colorado, North Carolina, and Florida are not eligible to participate in this pilot because they will be completing the final survey. The University of Connecticut IRB has determined that completion of the survey is not human subject research requiring IRB review. If you have any questions about the survey or about participation in the pilot, please feel free to email del.siegle at uconn.edu
You can help us by forwarding this email to gifted coordinators, teachers of the gifted, and administrators in your state who are responsible for gifted programs. This address (http://ncrge.uconn.edu) connects to our website where individuals will find a link to the surveys (direct links to the surveys are at the bottom of this letter as well). If you have any questions about this work, please don’t hesitate to contact me (del.siegle at uconn.edu (860.486.0616).

Thanks,

Del Siegle, Ph.D.
Director, National Center for Research on Gifted Education

Click here (https://uconn.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bOYKaqke7UxIf2t) to complete a school survey (designed for teachers of the gifted in Grades PK-5 or school principals)
Click here (https://uconn.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_1yR1xBIjY0wdXy5&Q_JFE=0) to complete a district survey (designed for a district gifted coordinator)
Please complete the survey by January 25, 2015.