[Ohiogift] College Credit Plus and Class Rank WAS Early Grad

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.osu.edu
Fri Dec 19 14:03:45 EST 2014

Unfortunately, as clear as the law is on this issue, because of some misinformation shared with districts this fall, students taking very high level college courses may still be discriminated against. For more information, please read the latest OAGC Advocacy alert at http://oagc.com/advocacyAlerts.asp and please consider providing input on this issue or testifying on December 29th or 30th.

-- Ann Sheldon
anngift at aol.com

There has been recent progress, Mary, thanks to Ann's extraordinary efforts.  The sun is about to set on PSEO, and College Credit Plus, which goes into full effect next school year with initial deadlines coming up March 1, requires, by law, that CCP courses be weighted the same as AP, IB, or honors courses, if the school weights those courses.

Anne Flick
anneflick at yahoo.com

anneflick at yahoo.com

Eleven years ago, when our son graduated from high school and OSU within the same week, the local high school (Beavercreek) made no adjustments to his GPA or class rank even though all of his classes were taken in college and some of the classes were at the 500 level.  Meanwhile, the school district weighted the AP classes taken by students at the high school for class rank.  We decided early on not to make and issue of it since the law clearly stated the school districts had that perogative,<snip>There obviously is not much progress on resolving this and many other issues, as far as I know.

Mary Collier

How does your district handle the placement of students in class rankings and in contention for local scholarships for students who graduate early?  Do you have a formal policy for this?

Pat Naveau