[Ohiogift] TCR Academic Coaching Service

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.osu.edu
Thu Oct 16 18:12:42 EDT 2014

           Normal   0         false   false   false                             MicrosoftInternetExplorer4      Friends:

    As we head toward a good weekend, I wanted to give a big thumbs-up vote of support to a recent education development: TCR Academic Coaches.

    As the global community continues to shrink, it’s vital that our high school students in Ohio — and across the country — ramp up their research and writing skills to be academically competitive. To that end, The Concord Review, the world’s foremost quarterly devoted to academic excellence by way of history and social-science research papers, offers online coaching to students who wish to stand out through their hard work and devotion to excellence.

    The Concord Review Academic Coaching Service sets itself apart by helping students move beyond today’s bare-bones, five-paragraph writing assignments (should they even have any) to meet and exceed international standards set by students from Singapore, Canada, South Korea, England, Israel, China and dozens of other countries. Students typically write non-fiction papers in English of 6,000 or more words for The Concord Review. I myself have enjoyed reading the impressive papers from high school students for years, and Ohio counts about 22 TCR scholars among several hundred worldwide who have graced the pages of TCR since its founding in 1987. Typically, each TCR writer chooses his or her own subject, researches it, and develops it with well-ordered prose, complete with footnotes. Successful TCR writers more often than not gain undergraduate acceptance into North America’s most elite universities, such as Harvard, Stanford, McGill, Wellesley, MIT, University of Chicago, Columbia, and others. (It’s more demanding to get published by TCR than to be accepted by Yale, for example.) In short, The Concord Review Academic Coaching Service (which is fee-based) can help make this academic leap happen as each enlisted student works with his or her coach.

    Teachers, coordinators, parents and others on Ohiogift owe it to themselves to see how TCR Academic Coaches can benefit bright, industrious Ohio students in our midst. Their future could depend on this very promising step. Questions on this tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) non-profit and its academic coaching service? Visit http://www.tcr.org/.

      Best wishes,
    Art Snyder
    artsnyder44 at cs.com