[Ohiogift] The Airplane Seat theory of education

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.osu.edu
Mon Oct 6 23:32:34 EDT 2014

Friends:

Nancy Flannigan's Teacher in a Strange Land blog (published by Education Week) has a column along the lines of "why can't we all get along?"  I was a bit startled by her characterization of an adult lout as a gifted child:

Here's what I always wonder, when I encounter or hear about A[ggressive] S[eat] R[ecliner] types: what were they like in second grade? Did they shout "pick me!" and wave their hand, even as another child struggled to come up with an answer? Did they elbow their way to the head of the recess line? Did their parents let the teacher know that, as taxpayers, they expected some control over assignments as well as special consideration for their child's unique talents?.....

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/teacher_in_a_strange_land/2014/10/the_airplane_seat_theory_of_education.html?cmp=ENL-EU-NEWS3

I'm sure she didn't realize how it reads, but it seems to me to be an excellent example of the sort of barely hidden prejudice that confronts many gifted children and their families when they come to their teachers and request services.

How would you handle a meeting when your teacher thinks like this?

Margaret