[Ohiogift] Articles

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Tue Aug 5 13:49:06 EDT 2014

Hello Everyone!
I want to share some articles that have grabbed my attention over the summer.

What if Special Education Students got Gifted Education Treatment?
"Every Bell curve has two tails.  Every line has two ends.  In education, we have special needs students and gifted needs students*.  What if we switched the treatment for those groups?"
http://rochestersage.org/2014/07/25/what-if-special-education-students-got-gifted-education-treatment/

My brother's keeper: How siblings teach one another about the world
Summary:"While researchers have long known that brothers and sisters teach each other about the world, most of their observations about this have been made in a lab setting. A new study has investigated a step further by observing how children interact in their natural habitat: their homes. Through the study, investigators not only confirmed that teaching occurs naturally and spontaneously, but that both older and younger siblings initiate learning activities. What's more, siblings acting as teachers use a variety of instructional techniques during these informal lessons."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140709115505.htm

Beauty in the Broken Places
Finally, a piece that speaks to me on so many levels. Whether the "broken" represents an emotionally charged situation or a system that seems to not quite fit. I hope this article gives you inspiration.
"Maybe you’re familiar with the idea of kintsukuroi. It’s a Japanese word that refers to the act of repairing broken pottery by filling in the cracks with gold. Instead of trying to hide the damage, kintsukuroi illuminates it."
http://www.positivelypositive.com/2014/07/15/beauty-in-the-broken-places/

Heather Cachat
Certified SENG Model Group Facilitator
www.centralohiogiftedsupport.com