[Ohiogift] Summer learning opportunities for Educators and Parents of Gifted Children

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jun 25 11:07:15 EDT 2014

Thanks for the information
Are you aware of any opportunities in the Cincinnati/Tri-State area? I would love to attend and share with my parents and teachers.

>>> Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List <ohiogift at lists.service.ohio-state.edu> 06/25/14 7:22 AM >>>
Dear Educator,

All types of students enter our buildings, classrooms, and offices, but one of the most vulnerable types of students is often thought of as the most capable.  It is often the academic capability of gifted students that misleads educators, and at times even parents, to think that they will be just fine.  In reality, these students need support - not just academically, but especially in the social and emotional arena.

I'm reaching out to you to let you know about a couple opportunities for educators and parents to learn more about how they can support gifted children.

The first occurs on Tuesday, July 8, 7:00-8:30 at the New Albany Library Meeting Room.  Dr. Wenda Sheard will be talking to educators and parents about advocacy for gifted children.  She will discuss political, legal, and educational policy as it pertains to advocating for gifted students.  This presentation will be beneficial for both parents and educators.

The second opportunity is for parents of gifted children.  I am a facilitator of SENG Parent Groups.  These are groups where parents can discuss parenting their children and learn about the unique social and emotional needs of gifted children.  Our fall group begins this August and goes for eight weeks.  It is a great way to kick off the new school year!  Parents do not have to have a formal identification of giftedness to participate in the parent group.

Please help spread word about these opportunities to your families and educators.  I have attached both fliers for your convenience.

Sincerely,
Heather Cachat

Heather Cachat, M.Ed.
Certified SENG Model Parent Group Facilitator
www.centralohiogiftedsupport.com

Heather Cachat, M.Ed.
Certified SENG Facilitator
www.centralohiogiftedsupport.com