[Ohiogift] Subject acceleration

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Fri Jun 13 13:44:27 EDT 2014

Hi Diana,

The main consideration should always be what is in the best interest of child. You can use (or explore) ability testing, performance (previous grades), teacher recommendation, student recommendation, parent input and the like. Yet, from any one perspective, a decision can always be made that overlooks the needs of the child.

We need to get together on “all things GT at TPS”….

Smiles to you!

Bob

On Jun 13, 2014, at 1:33 PM, Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List <ohiogift at lists.service.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

> For whole grade acceleration decisions, we use the Iowa Acceleration Scale to determine if acceleration is recommended.  But we are wondering what data sources other districts are using when considering subject acceleration for students in K-8 buildings.  Your input will be very informative for us.
>
> Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide.
>
> Diana Jones-Manley
> Acting Director of Gifted Education
> Toledo Public Schools
> Thurgood Marshall Building
> 420 E. Manhattan Blvd.
> Toledo, OH 43608
> Telephone:  419-671-8391
> Email:  djonesma at tps.org

Robert A. Schultz, Ph.D.
Professor
Gifted Education and Curriculum Studies
THE UNIVERSITY OF TOLEDO
Mailstop 924
Toledo, OH 43606

(419) 530-2469

See my homepage at:

http://homepages.utoledo.edu/rschult/home.html
			and visit
www.giftedkidspeak.com

What I look forward to is continued immaturity, followed by death.
								—Dave Barry