[Ohiogift] Labelling the gifted

Lauren Sindelar lewest2003 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 21:00:27 EDT 2014

I disagree with their reasons. However, I do feel that the actual word,
gifted, when used too often, could be harmful to the student. I think that
we need to be very careful about when we use the word, and try to make sure
the child isn't around as much as possible. I know they know they're
different, and most of them probably realize they're smarter than their
peers. But, they don't need to hear it everyday. Not only does it take some
of the meaning away, but it puts unnecessary pressure on the student to
perform at certain standards at all times and, when those standards aren't
met, it may not be the parents and teachers who are disappointed, but the
student. I'm not saying that it's harmful for all students - everyone is
different. But, I'd be willing to bet that there is a subgroup of them
(think along the lines of lack of resiliency, I guess) that would benefit
from a lack of the "gifted" description.

Just my two cents, which are certainly up for debate - I'm speaking from
personal experience and not the whole.

~Lauren Sindelar