[Ohiogift] Labelling the gifted

Susan Rakow susanrakow at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 16 20:17:40 EDT 2014

I don't agree either because it presumes that giftedness is only about academic intervention and school instruction and disregards, particularly among the most highly gifted, the social and emotional aspects of experiencing the world through a gifted mind and heart. Lots of words have multiple connotations and sometimes the word "gifted" has baggage...but so does autistic or Asperger's or diabetic or artist and many others. And the fact is, that some children DO have abilities that others don't, just as some children DO have disabilities that others don't.

If we throw away the word, then what is the National Association for Gifted Children, in which all of these authors are major players, all about?
Susan