[Ohiogift] "Home schooling grows on (military) bases"

Eileen Brady ebrady99 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 28 11:24:20 EDT 2013

As someone whose family relocated to Ohio last year because of military orders, I can tell you that our experience in trying to get a new (civilian) school to understand our situation and simply place our child in the gifted program was no less than infuriating, even though Ohio is one of 46 states to participate in the Military Interstate Compact that was created to make it easier for a student to transition from one state's school expectations to another's.
We moved over the summer and our child was to start at the beginning of the school year. Even though we had registered her (in person) the previous April -- bringing with us her grades and test scores indicating her gifted ability -- and been in regular contact with the registrar and the principal, our daughter was not assigned to a teacher until weeks after all the other students. Then when we attended an open house the night before school began, we were told that the teacher had no idea of her ability and where she should be placed in a tiered reading structure. Luckily, her teacher was understanding and also extremely talented at differentiating in the classroom, and the people in charge of the gifted program were receptive and fast-moving.
As I have told the Ohio state board members in emails, where we previously lived in northern Virginia, our daughter's gifted instruction would have consisted of daily all-day pullout with her gifted peers. If we had lived in a county school there, she would have been eligible to attend a school for gifted students. As it is now, she receives pullout once a week and absolutely loves it, but we still feel as if the military move to Ohio has been almost a punishment for her as a student, especially considering the lack of support by the state.
So I can certainly understand the desire of military families to homeschool in order to maintain the level of gifted instruction and to associate with others who understand the unique stresses that frequent moving and parental deployment have on children, which is something very few school administrators have been able to demonstrate to us.
--Eileen Brady