[Ohiogift] "really smart" 8 year old being bullied

Mary Collier redfoxmary at aol.com
Sat Sep 14 07:19:26 EDT 2013

 The Dear Abby column in today's Dayton Daily News (probably the same in other newspapers):

"Dear Abby:  I'm eight years old and in second grade.  I'm writing because I'm being bullied at school.  I'm really smart, and at my school that's a really bad thing.  I try hard to be nice, but here that's worse than being smart.

The teachers didn't help me with the bullies, so I stopped telling them.  My mom ('helicopter mom"? - my comment) told everyone she could about the bullies, but nobody helps.  It keeps getting worse over time.  Every day someone picks on me, pushes me or makes fun of me.  Please help me. - Feeling torn in Texas".

Also in today's paper, a related article from Tampa, Florida reagarding a 12 year old girl:   "Police may seek charges in bullied girl's suicide":  "On Monday, she went to an abandoned concrete plant in Lakeland where she liked to hang out, climbed a tower and hurled herself to her death".

"Dear Abby:  I'm eight years old and in second grade.  I'm writing because I'm being bullied at school.  I'm really smart, and at my school that's a really bad thing.  I try hard to be nice, but here that's worse than being smart.

The teachers didn't help me with the bullies, so I stopped telling them.  My mom ('helicopter mom"? - my comment) told everyone she could about the bullies, but nobody helps.  It keeps getting worse over time.  Every day someone picks on me, pushes me or makes fun of me.  Please help me. - Feeling torn in Texas".

Also in today's paper, a related article from Tampa, Florida reagarding a 12 year old girl:   "Police may seek charges in bullied girl's suicide":  "On Monday, she went to an abandoned concrete plant in Lakeland where she liked to hang out, climbed a tower and hurled herself to her death".
Such cheerful back to school news.

Mary Collier