[Ohiogift] GIFTED SERVICES IN OHIO: ONE GIANT LEAP BACKWARDS

Katie Thurston kthurston61 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 09:09:59 EDT 2013

Hey All-

A few years back when my son Zachary had trouble in school (he was
charged with a first-degree felony by our joke of an "excellent"
school district for swinging at, then tossing a mini keyring toy at
the principal and special ed. teacher when they caught him leaving the
school he hated ), I was still actively seeking support in our plight.
I wrote legislators, asked others, joined the local parents of gifted
group- in short, I did everything I could find to do. Did it help us?
Not really, except for the few folks who responded kindly online with
supportive advice.

My son's test scores have progressively gone downhill in the years
since he was returned to said district in sixth grade. Those scores
were at the top ranking then, even AFTER his removal to a 'special
school' with a watered down curriculum for a year after his court case
concluded. I am angry, but not defeated. This year over the objections
of some people, I have chosen to homeschool him. Although we have
gotten a late start, I am desperate, as Z got 7 "F"s in the 9th grade.

You want me to put forth an effort? I HAVE. To little, if any, avail.
My son is brilliant. And extremely jaded regarding school. He is
socially outcast as well. And, by the way, he has not gotten into ANY
more trouble....which is to say, his spirit is at least partially
broken.

Am I surprised that gifted services get short shrift? Not in the least. We have.

Kathleen "Katie" Thurston