[Ohiogift] (no subject)

Eric C Calvert eric.calvert at northwestern.edu
Tue Jul 30 19:48:36 EDT 2013

I would just add to this that, if your district's requirements for placement in services are higher than the minimum ID requirements, you probably want to use something in addition to, or instead, of MAP. We're finding that it's not very reliable once you get above the low 90 percentiles. (In other words, if you require kids to score at or above the 95th percentile for service, placing or disqualifying the identified kids in service based on MAP scores isn't very different, from a psychometrics standpoint, than putting all the identified students' names in a hat and drawing names until you've filled all the places in your programs.) In one district we looked at that did fall, winter, and spring MAP testing, about 80% of the kids in their gifted program would have met Ohio gifted ID criteria in one of the seasonal administrations, but not in at least one of the other administrations.

I think it's perfectly fine as a screener though (especially if you're school is testing all your students with MAP anyway) as long as you're following the operating standards and re-testing those kids who score in the screening range but not in the ID range with an instrument with a higher ceiling.