[Ohiogift] Published letter regarding Rosemond column

Rosado Feger, Ana rosadof at ohio.edu
Sun Jun 16 18:01:12 EDT 2013

Katie

First of all, I would like to say I am very sorry that you and your son have to go through this.  No child should ever be made to feel like a failure.

I only know what you have written, but it appears you may have exhausted what the school district can offer you.  So my suggestion is to take a different tack.  Instead of trying to make it work, I suggest you look around to see if there is a private school near you that would be able to serve his specific, documented medical/mental health needs.  Then argue to the district that instead of fitting your bright square peg into their ill-fitting round hole, they pay for him to go to the private school.  Our neighbors (in Athens) have a similar arrangement for their autistic child.  Of course, that only works if there is an appropriate school near you (our neighbors drive their son to Marietta, a good hour away), and if the district agrees to pay.  Considering your reams of documentation, I think you would have a strong case. Some districts around Columbus were doing this for kids with learning disabilities, I have no idea if this is still the case.

Your other choice is to homeschool through one of the two or three public online schools.  They are tuition-free, and in theory (or their brochures anyway) would allow him to move at his own pace, within limits.  As public charter schools, you have to follow their calendar and Zach will be required to take the usual standardized tests.  In any case, information is free.  Sometimes the mere freedom in knowing you can set your own schedule can be a godsend.

An advantage of being enrolled in a high school is that he can then qualify for PSEO...taking college classes for dual credit.  I think that would be true even if he is enrolled in the online programs.

Or, sometimes you have to think of the future and make drastic changes.  My nephew had immense troubles in high school, much like your son.  He ended up being expelled in his junior year.  He tested for a GED instead and enrolled in college courses.  He is thriving academically now.  But, college is not free if you are not enrolled in high school...the dreaded Catch-22.

I wish you much patience and perseverance.  I don't know that I can be much help, but, know that I am in your corner.

Best of luck,

--Ana