[Ohiogift] Fwd: Questions on a Passage

Will Fitzhugh fitzhugh at tcr.org
Mon May 6 09:02:12 EDT 2013

I have not been an AP Reader but I assume that an articulate
(glib?) answer to a document-based question might get a 4
instead of a 5 because of the absence of additional (unspecified?)
information made use of by the student? Or could it get a 5
 because any desired additional information was not
specified?

The Common Core specifies no information ("we are not a curriculum"),
so I don't see any way the assessors could judge an "answer to a passage"
on other grounds than the student's "use" of the passage in answering
questions on the passage. So we have strong support for ignorance
and cleverness in using a passage to answer questions on the passage.

David Coleman's love of ye olde "New Criticism" may have reduced
the value he places on knowledge, and I suspect that, in the absence
of a curriculum ("we are not a curriculum") the assessments for
the Common Core will have to depend on students having no
prior knowledge when they design tests which will ask for

Will Fitzhugh

=============

“Teach by Example”
Will Fitzhugh [founder]