[Ohiogift] Singapore and Korea

Will Fitzhugh fitzhugh at tcr.org
Tue Feb 5 13:24:07 EST 2013

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rick Bisset
Date: February 4, 2013 4:30:01 PM EST
To: Will Fitzhugh <fitzhugh at tcr.org>
Subject: Re: Interest Cliff

Your visit has stimulated a great deal of conversation around what our courses will look like next year as well as ways to better prepare our students for university/college.

As a direct result of your visit, we are offering a semester course to high school students next year titled: "Writing a Research Paper."

Students will be expected to produce a major research paper at the end (+5,000 words).

We have three teachers (including myself) who have asked to teach it!

Can't speak for the United States, but here at SAS, things are looking up!!

Warm Regards,

Rick

[History Teacher, Singapore American School]

-------------------------

A Senior HS student in Seoul, Korea, tells me today that:

"It wouldn't be a bad idea for us [in Seoul] to have a course like that Mr. Bisset is planning.
It seems that there is a 'lack of experiential and project-based learning pathways for students' at our school as well."

After all the talk about Singapore and Korea leading the world,
I am a bit surprised that the idea of a serious history research paper
seems still so new there....

Will Fitzhugh

“Teach by Example”
Will Fitzhugh [founder]