[Ohiogift] Comment on Atlantic article

Will Fitzhugh fitzhugh at tcr.org
Sat Sep 29 09:53:11 EDT 2012

Broeck Oder

September 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Comment on the article from The Atlantic, http://bit.ly/Snu8Ck, posted on EdViews.org

Will Fitzhugh has been doing amazing and uplifting work with The Concord Review for twenty-five years now, and he is spot-on across the board. Several of my students have, over the years, published articles in the Review, and it has not only benefited them, but students who follow them as well by inspiring the desire to reach that level.

I teach at a pricey private school, but sadly, despite my students’ success in the Review, our administration gives little support to the History Department in fostering mastery of this critical skill. In the rush for instant gratification, any assignment which challenges the students to expand their capabilities meaningfully is quickly branded “too hard.”

I have often been told that students in college now do nothing but power-point presentations, that no one writes a paper any longer. On the other hand, a steady stream of feedback from my former students now in college indicates clearly that they write papers all the time and are grateful they learned how to do so in high school. Administrators at all schools should be willing to support, if not mandate, the writing of substantial historical papers for it is one of the best ways to foster critical thinking in a truly academic manner.

Will Fitzhugh has been showing the way for quite a while, and more of us should know and appreciate his steadfast dedication to true student excellence!

==============

“Teach by Example”
Will Fitzhugh [founder]
The Concord Review [1987]