[Ohiogift] exam schools

Margaret DeLacy margaretdelacy at comcast.net
Thu Aug 23 21:09:46 EDT 2012

Friends:

Below is a link to and excerpt from an opinion concerning exam schools in this week's Education Gadfly from the Fordham Institute.

The column accompanies a book on the topic, an article in Education Next and a free "live seminar" in Washington this Friday, August 24th.

http://www.edexcellence.net/commentary/education-gadfly-weekly/2012/august-23/Searching-in-vain-for-the-invest-in-the-future-ticket.html#raising-the-floor-but-neglecting-the-ceilings.html

"Our forthcoming book provides a pioneering look into the underexamined world of selective public high schools. We found just 165 of them, lumpily distributed across the land. And we learned that, despite their reputations as havens for rich kids, their students are almost as poor as the general public high school population. (Rich families truly have other options.) African-American youngsters are over-represented in these high schools, and Asian-American youngsters heavily over-represented. Both white and Latino kids are under-represented."

Link to the Education Next article:
http://educationnext.org/exam-schools-from-the-inside/

Margaret